Why Do Hoop Stresses Become Infinite at Specific Angles in a Plate with a Hole?

• Thread starter kajalschopra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole Plate
In summary, The solution for the stresses in a plate with a hole is derived using the solution for an infinite width plate as a starting point. At theta=+/-90, the hoop stress is not infinite, but rather 3 times the far field stress due to the lack of material in the hole to support the tensile load. The compressive hoop stress at theta=0 is necessary to compensate for the negative far field strain in the transverse direction due to the Poisson effect. The boundary conditions are simpler to apply when the plate is infinite, which is why the solution is derived using an infinite plate as a starting point. The stress concentration factor Kt is not completely empirical, but rather derived by fitting a polynomial to the mathematical solution
kajalschopra

Homework Statement

Physical understanding about the variation of hoop stresses in a plate with a hole

Homework Equations

I have been reading about the solution of stresses in solution of plate with a hole from here: http://www.fracturemechanics.org/hole.html

. I’m unable to physically understand the following:

1. How is that the hoop stresses become infinity at theta = + or -90? I’m unable to sense this physically? I understand that there is a hole there but at theta = 0, the hoop stresses are compressive (this also corresponds to the hole position since r = a). I’m unable to sense the two scenarios physically. That is: how the hoop stresses become infinity at r = a and theta = +90 or -90 and the hoop stresses become compressive at theta = 0?

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is to do with physical understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hoop stress is not infinite at ##\theta = \pm 90##. It is ##3\sigma_{\infty}##. At ##\theta = \pm 90##, the hoop stress is acting in the same direction as the far field stress ##\sigma_{\infty}##. But, because there is no material in the hole to help support this tensile load, the hoop stress has to pull harder.

With regard to ##\theta = 0##, the hoop stress here is acting in the direction perpendicular to the applied load. Because the stretching is uniaxial in the far field, the far field strain is negative in this transverse direction (by the Poisson effect). The radial stress is zero here, so the tendency for the material to contract in width near the hole is less than in the far field where the radial stress is tensile. So a compressive stress in necessary here to try to get the material adjacent to the hole to try to contract by an amount on the same order as the far field.

Likes kajalschopra and Nidum
Thanks a lot Sir, that was extremely useful. One forgets the Poissons effect when thinking in polar coordinates.

Sir, I have another basic question:

1) Why are closed form solutions starting with infinite plates? What is so simple in infinite plates?

With warm regards
Kajal

kajalschopra said:
Thanks a lot Sir, that was extremely useful. One forgets the Poissons effect when thinking in polar coordinates.

Sir, I have another basic question:

1) Why are closed form solutions starting with infinite plates? What is so simple in infinite plates?

With warm regards
Kajal
The boundary conditions are much simpler to apply.

Sorry Sir, I do ot quite understand. Can you explain reference to the plate with circular hole problem (Kirsch solution)? I do understand that since the plate is infinite the hole dimensions do not come into play in the expressions for stresses sigma_rr and sigma_theta around the hole. But, do not quite understand how the boundary conditions are easier to apply.

kajalschopra said:
Sorry Sir, I do ot quite understand. Can you explain reference to the plate with circular hole problem (Kirsch solution)? I do understand that since the plate is infinite the hole dimensions do not come into play in the expressions for stresses sigma_rr and sigma_theta around the hole. But, do not quite understand how the boundary conditions are easier to apply.
Maybe I didn't express my answer quite right. In this problem, having the boundary condition at infinity simplified the form of the solution to stress equilibrium equations. Just imagine what the solution would be like if, rather than the boundary conditions being applied at infinity, the boundary were located about parallel lines only about 1 hole diameter away on either side of the hole .

If the plate weren't infinite, then the length and width of the plate and the hole's horizontal and vertical position in the plate would all be part of the solution. Also, the free edges at the left and right would have to be taken into account as boundary conditions. When you pull on a strip of material at both ends, it pinches in the middle, and modeling that with boundary conditions on the sides is difficult.

Thank you very much, sir's.

I have been reading about solution of finite width plate

http://www.fracturemechanics.org/hole.html

As I see, there is not much logic in deriving the solution of finite width plates using the solution of infinite width plate. As I see the result of stress concentration factor Kt is completely empirical. The nominal stress cited in the above example is but a result of experimental observations.

Am I right?

kajalschopra said:
Thank you very much, sir's.

I have been reading about solution of finite width plate

http://www.fracturemechanics.org/hole.html

As I see, there is not much logic in deriving the solution of finite width plates using the solution of infinite width plate. As I see the result of stress concentration factor Kt is completely empirical. The nominal stress cited in the above example is but a result of experimental observations.

Am I right?
I don't think so. I think the empirical equation was derived by fitting a polynomial to the mathematical solution of the elastic stress equilibrium equations for the case of a finite width. The mathematical solution was probably obtained numerically using finite element.

ok..last question, sir./

Why is that the solution for stresses is expressed and derived in polar (in case of circle) or elliptical (in case of ellipse) coordinates? Why is it difficult to derive in Cartesian coordinates?

kajalschopra said:
ok..last question, sir./

Why is that the solution for stresses is expressed and derived in polar (in case of circle) or elliptical (in case of ellipse) coordinates? Why is it difficult to derive in Cartesian coordinates?
The equations turn out to be easier to solve that way.

Related to Why Do Hoop Stresses Become Infinite at Specific Angles in a Plate with a Hole?

1. What is a "plate with a hole" and why is it important to study?

A plate with a hole refers to a flat, solid object with a circular opening in the center. It is important to study because it is a common structural element found in many mechanical and civil engineering systems, and understanding its behavior can help in the design and analysis of these systems.

2. How do you determine the stress distribution in a plate with a hole?

The stress distribution in a plate with a hole can be determined using various analytical and numerical methods, such as the theory of elasticity, finite element analysis, or experimental testing. These methods take into account factors such as the geometry of the plate, the material properties, and any applied loads to calculate the stress distribution.

3. What is the significance of the stress concentration factor in a plate with a hole?

The stress concentration factor is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the maximum stress at the hole to the nominal stress in the plate. It is an important factor in the design and analysis of plates with holes because it provides insight into the level of stress concentration and the potential for failure at the hole.

4. How does the size and shape of the hole affect the stress distribution in a plate?

The size and shape of the hole have a significant impact on the stress distribution in a plate. As the size of the hole increases, the stress concentration factor also increases, resulting in higher stresses around the hole. Similarly, a change in the shape of the hole can alter the stress distribution, with sharp corners or notches leading to higher stress concentrations.

5. How can the presence of a hole affect the overall strength of a plate?

The presence of a hole in a plate can significantly decrease its strength, as the stress concentration at the hole can lead to localized failure or crack initiation. Therefore, it is important to consider the size, shape, and location of the hole in the design of a plate to ensure its structural integrity and prevent potential failures.