Theoretically, how much energy would it take for a wormhole

In summary: .The town would be destroyed by the tidal forces surrounding the wormhole. Anything near the wormhole would be either spaghettified or pancaked.
The Un-Observer
I'm writing a story and the general idea is about a city that vanishes from the Earth because a wormhole spawned on Earth in that exact location. It is moved not to another area in space, but to an entirely different spacetime.

The wormhole in question only stayed open for a few seconds before it collapsed. So, in this equation energy to keep it open isn't important.

How much energy would it take to open up a wormhole for only a few seconds? The wormhole opens to about 4.2 sq miles before it pops and collapses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I would guess the equivalent of about 3000 times the mass of Jupiter in negative energy should just about do the trick.

I'd avoid real physics terms for something like that. Instead have ultradimensional scissors that cut spacetime and sewed it into somewhere else.

I agree with Alqr, wormholes and perhaps in particular very precise wormholes moving towns to other dimensions are so out-there that events such as that it is for the better if it isn't specified how it is happening, just that it is happening and what the consequences are. Any "explanation" will only sound like "reverse the polarity" if the story doesn't take place in an already well-established fictional universe.

The "formal" term for moving things about in spacetime/time/dimensions is an "ISOT", named after the novel "Island in the Sea Of Time" by S.M Stirling where Nantucket as of 1990-something is moved to 1225 B.C.

I agree with Mr. Potatohead. Every serious article that I've seen about wormholes states that negative energy is required to create and sustain them, and on a scale that the human race will probably never be able to generate.

is the worm hole being created by someone or something? if its a freak occurrence explaining the amount of energy needed becomes a mute point. you could simply describe really extreme weather patterns preceding the event of the wormhole appearing...etc... (speaking of which not sure the town would be in one piece by the time it got scooped up)

The town would most definitely be destroyed by the tidal forces surrounding the wormhole. Anything near the wormhole would be either spaghettified or pancaked.

dragoneyes001 said:
if its a freak occurrence explaining the amount of energy needed becomes a mute point. you could simply describe really extreme weather patterns
You do realize, I hope, that there is not enough negative energy strolling around in our entire Solar system to create a wormhole. In exactly what way do you think that a storm cloud could have any effect? Several people who have been struck by lightning are still alive, as are people who went through Katrina and similar catastrophes. If something like that can't kill every human that it tries to, why on Earth would you think that it could rip the Universe apart?

I meant the turbulence created when a wormhole is opened in our atmosphere if it can scoop up a town think what the air and everything else being suddenly sucked up would do to the surroundings as well as the town

Related to Theoretically, how much energy would it take for a wormhole

1. How is a wormhole created?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel through space-time that connects two distant points. It is created by bending the fabric of space-time using a massive amount of energy, which theoretically can be achieved through the use of exotic matter with negative energy.

2. How much energy is needed to create a wormhole?

The amount of energy needed to create a wormhole is immense and currently beyond our technological capabilities. According to the theory of general relativity, it would require the energy equivalent of a small star, such as our sun, to create a stable traversable wormhole.

3. Can a wormhole be sustained without continuous energy input?

Based on current theories, a wormhole would collapse without continuous energy input, as the exotic matter used to create it would repel itself and cause the wormhole to shrink. However, it is still being researched if there are ways to stabilize a wormhole without constant energy input.

4. How would traveling through a wormhole affect time?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected. Therefore, traveling through a wormhole would also involve traveling through time. Depending on the size and structure of the wormhole, time may pass differently for the traveler compared to the outside world.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of wormholes?

While there is no concrete evidence for the existence of wormholes, some scientists have proposed that certain astronomical phenomena, such as supermassive black holes, may be connected by wormholes. However, more research and observations are needed to confirm the existence of wormholes.