Theoretical vs Experimental physics

In summary: The main difference is obviously that experimentalists mainly do experimental work (but also analyse data, build models etc.); another difference is that experimentalists have to know a fair bit about engineering. How much depends on the field you are in and what you are doing, and you rarely need the "deep" knowledge that a "real" engineer would have.
austim14
whats the big difference to between a theoretical physicists and a experimental physicist? do they have or need different skills? would it be possible to become both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Experimental physics costs more. Yes, it is possible to be both.

Team Sheldon vs. Team Leonard

Well, one does theory and the other does experiments? The answer is in your question.

And yes, there exist people who do/have done both

e.bar.goum said:
And yes, there exist people who do/have done both

There are experimentalists that do theory, but I can't think of a single theorist who does experiments (which doesn't mean that they don't exist, but it is certainly rare).

The main difference is obviously that experimentalists mainly do experimental work (but also analyse data, build models etc.); another difference is that experimentalists have to know a fair bit about engineering. How much depends on the field you are in and what you are doing, and you rarely need the "deep" knowledge that a "real" engineer would have.

One neat thing about having a degree in physics is that you have the necessary background to learn just about anything in engineering, this means that if you discover that you need to learn more about something in order to perform an experiment you can usually just pick up a book, one can often reach the "tinkering level" in just a few days.

Note that I wouldn't worry about the difference until you reach the PhD level.

f95toli said:
There are experimentalists that do theory, but I can't think of a single theorist who does experiments (which doesn't mean that they don't exist, but it is certainly rare).

Hinchliffe, Bjorken, Page, Hill, Halzen. These are just off the top of my head.

I must admit I don't recognize either of those names. Which field?
In my field (condensed matter/device physics) the barriers between experimentalists and theorists are quite high; basically because you need a lot of practical knowledge to do any experiments. I guess it might be different in say astronomy, particle physics or even crystallography where people often use facilities and the "experimental" bit essentially comes down to thinking of new experiments and analysing data. (and less with say being able to change oil in vacuum pumps, design a circuit, troubleshooting ground-loops or transfer liquid helium; which tends to be a large part of the day-to-day work in my field).
Hence, in practice you usually have a situation where an experimental groups collaborate with one or more theory groups.

:biggrin:
I expect the theoretical physicist believes that, in theory, there is no significant difference, whereas the practical physicist thinks that view is practically nonsense!

Related to Theoretical vs Experimental physics

1. What is the main difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

The main difference between theoretical and experimental physics is their approach to studying the natural world. Theoretical physics uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict phenomena, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test these theories.

2. Can theoretical physics and experimental physics be used together?

Yes, theoretical and experimental physics often work hand in hand. Theoretical physics provides the framework and predictions for experiments, while experimental physics can help validate or refine theoretical models. Many advancements in science have been made through the collaboration of both fields.

3. Are theoretical physicists and experimental physicists different types of scientists?

Yes, while both theoretical and experimental physicists are scientists who study the natural world, they have different skill sets and approaches. Theoretical physicists are highly skilled in mathematics and use theoretical frameworks to explain phenomena, while experimental physicists are skilled in designing and conducting experiments to test these theories.

4. Which field of physics is more important, theoretical or experimental?

Both theoretical and experimental physics are equally important in advancing our understanding of the natural world. Theoretical physics provides the foundation for our understanding of physical laws, while experimental physics allows us to test and validate these theories. Without either field, our knowledge of the universe would not be as advanced as it is today.

5. Can a theoretical physicist also conduct experiments?

Yes, while it is more common for theoretical physicists to focus on mathematical models and theories, they can also conduct experiments. However, experimental physics requires specialized skills and equipment, so it is more common for theoretical physicists to collaborate with experimental physicists rather than conducting experiments themselves.