Theoretical Computer Science from Math Background

In summary, although these are all highly mathematical areas (sans reinforcement learning, perhaps), it seems that I would have to apply to computer science programs in order to study them. However, my concern is that I'm unsure of how computer science departments will view me.
Bourbaki1123
So; I've been pretty interested in descriptive complexity and finite model theory lately, as well as geometric complexity theory. Algorithmic information theory/Kolmogorov complexity is interesting as well, as is reinforcement learning. Also, I've been reading up on lambda calculus and the curry Howard Isomorphism (among other things) and I've become a fairly staunch constructivist.

Although these are all highly mathematical areas (sans reinforcement learning, perhaps), it seems that I would have to apply to computer science programs in order to study them (with the exception of a few programs, like CMU where I can do the logic track for math). My concern is that I'm unsure of how computer science departments will view me.

I've had theory of computation, two graduate mathematical logic courses, a graduate computational complexity seminar course, a grad course in formal verification and I've done research on algebraic cryptanalysis, but I've only had two programming courses (one in Ocaml and one in Java), and my coding skill is weak, not to mention that I've got very limited knowledge of the other aspects of the standard computer science curriculum.

So I'm totally unbalanced as a computer science candidate; although I have several advanced courses, I've got not solid grounding in the standard core knowledge (not to mention my lack of even a minor in the subject).

Here are my questions:

(A) Would it actually be sensible for me to apply to CS grad schools given that my interests are so theoretically focused?

(B) Is there any insight some of you (those who have been through the process or are in grad school, or are professors/lecturers) could share about how my application might be viewed?

(C) Are there any programs that anyone could suggest with strong communication between math and CS where I might be able to take an adviser from CS although I'm in math?

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife was actually in a very similar situation to you... undergraduate degree in math, some work in theoretical computer science, a small amount of programming experience, etc. She applied and was accepted into the CS Ph.D. program at both CMU and MIT.

(Admittedly "some work" here involved a glowing recommendation from a major name in the field... but it is certainly reasonable to think that you could be admitted into a CS graduate school with your background. You would be playing a bit of catch up though... I met her at CMU, and while my Computer Engineering background allowed me to sail through some of the more practical qualifiers, she really struggled with them.)

TMFKAN64 said:
My wife was actually in a very similar situation to you... undergraduate degree in math, some work in theoretical computer science, a small amount of programming experience, etc. She applied and was accepted into the CS Ph.D. program at both CMU and MIT.

(Admittedly "some work" here involved a glowing recommendation from a major name in the field... but it is certainly reasonable to think that you could be admitted into a CS graduate school with your background. You would be playing a bit of catch up though... I met her at CMU, and while my Computer Engineering background allowed me to sail through some of the more practical qualifiers, she really struggled with them.)

Ah, that's good to hear! I wasn't even thinking about MIT or CMU (aside from the math track), just some decent schools with solid theory people. Actually, my biggest interest as far as CS is U Mass Amherst, but I'm doubtful about my chances. I'll apply anyway of course.

Related to Theoretical Computer Science from Math Background

1. What is the difference between theoretical computer science and applied computer science?

Theoretical computer science focuses on the fundamental principles and concepts of computing, such as algorithms, data structures, and computation theory. It is more abstract and mathematical in nature. On the other hand, applied computer science uses these principles to solve real-world problems and develop practical applications.

2. How does a strong math background benefit someone studying theoretical computer science?

A strong math background is crucial in understanding the complex mathematical concepts and theories used in theoretical computer science. It helps with problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as understanding the mathematical proofs and algorithms used in theoretical computer science.

3. What are some common topics studied in theoretical computer science?

Some common topics in theoretical computer science include complexity theory, automata theory, computability theory, graph theory, and cryptography. These topics explore the limits and capabilities of computation and are used to develop efficient algorithms and solve complex problems.

4. How is theoretical computer science used in practical applications?

Theoretical computer science provides the foundation for many practical applications in various fields, such as artificial intelligence, data science, and computer engineering. It helps in developing efficient algorithms, designing computer systems, and solving complex problems in these areas.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in theoretical computer science?

A background in theoretical computer science can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as a computer scientist, data scientist, software engineer, or research scientist. These professionals work in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government, among others.