The value of potential difference between two points

In summary: Now to check it in this case, we can also use the fact that ##V_{ab} = - \int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l}##. So we pick a path from a to b. We can pick the path to be the line from a to b. So ##\vec{l} = l \hat{x}## and ##\vec{E} = E \hat{x}##. So ##\Delta V_{ab} = - E \int_{a}^{b} dx = - E (b-a) = E(b-a) = E l##This is correct. Now to check it in this case
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

screenshot_50.png

Homework Equations

##ΔV=Ed##

The Attempt at a Solution

##V_A=E l##
##V_b=0## , because point B is perpendicular to the electric field
##ΔV = V_a + V_b##
= El
Is my answer correct ?

Attachments

• screenshot_50.png
    screenshot_50.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Likes harambe
Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

VA=ElVA=ElV_A=E l
Vb=0Vb=0V_b=0 , because point B is perpendicular to the electric field , so Eb=0Eb=0E_b=0
ΔV=Va+VbΔV=Va+VbΔV = V_a + V_b
= El
Is my answer correct ?
your answer seems to be correct only in number but the arguments and calculation is to be corrected
follow a method...take a test charge on the path and calculate the work done.
why you are saying that Eb=0?

Likes harambe
drvrm said:
why you are saying that Eb=0
##V_b = 0## and ##E_b≠0##

Likes harambe
Fatima Hasan said:
Vb=0Vb=0V_b = 0 and Eb≠0

if electric field is there then potential at a point can not be zero , the potential is zero at infinity.
E(b) can have a value may be same as the tip of the path from where it starts to go perpendicular to the field.
the work done is dot product of force and displacement.

Likes harambe
drvrm said:
if electric field is there then potential at a point can not be zero , the potential is zero at infinity.
E(b) can have a value may be same as the tip of the path from where it starts to go perpendicular to the field.
the work done is dot product of force and displacement.
I am asked about the value of the potential difference and since both points have the same electric potential which is ##E l## , so ##V_{ab} = V_b-V_a ##
##= El-El = 0##

Likes harambe
Instead of thinking in terms of Va or Vb, which requires defining a reference point, think in terms of changes in V. If you like, you can call that point where the arrows connect "C".

Likes harambe
Fatima Hasan said:
I am asked about the value of the potential difference and since both points have the same electric potential which is ElElE l , so Vab=Vb−VaVab=Vb−VaV_{ab} = V_b-V_a
=El−El=0

suppose in an electric field you travel a distance l then work done will not be zero.
for example in a gravitational field you raise or lower a mass through height h there exists a potential difference .
similarly when one travels in a electric field the work done will be force into displacement.

Likes harambe
png.png

Sounds correct now?

If yes, I would be grateful if someone could solve it with another method (by reference third point) :)

Attachments

• png.png
    png.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Fatima Hasan said:
Sounds correct now?
No. ##\Delta V = \vec{E}\cdot\vec{d} \neq Ed##

Fatima Hasan said:
If yes, I would be grateful if someone could solve it with another method (by reference third point) :)
I thought that's what you attempted in your first post. Try again, more carefully. (You almost had it right.) Call the third point X. Vab = Vax + Vxb.

Likes harambe
Doc Al said:
Call the third point X. Vab = Vax + Vxb.
##V_{ab} = V_a+V_b##
= ##El + El##
##= 2 El##

Likes harambe
Fatima Hasan said:
##V_{ab} = V_a+V_b##
= ##El + El##
##= 2 El##
No. Just rewrite what you did originally using ##V_{ax}## and ##V_{xb}##. (Instead of ##V_{a}## and ##V_{b}##, which are potentials at a point.)

Likes Fatima Hasan and harambe
Doc Al said:
No. Just rewrite what you did originally using ##V_{ax}## and ##V_{xb}##. (Instead of ##V_{a}## and ##V_{b}##, which are potentials at a point.)
## \displaystyle V_{ax} = E\cdot l ##
## \displaystyle V_{xb} = 0 ##
## \displaystyle \Delta V_{ab} = V_{ax} + V_{xb} = E\cdot l ##

Likes harambe
Fatima Hasan said:
Good!

Likes Fatima Hasan and harambe
Fatima Hasan said:
This is correct

Likes Fatima Hasan

Related to The value of potential difference between two points

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit of charge between two points by the magnitude of that charge. Mathematically, it can be expressed as V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the magnitude of charge.

What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. It is defined as one joule per coulomb (J/C).

What is the role of potential difference in electricity?

Potential difference is essential in electricity as it is the driving force that allows charges to flow through a circuit. It is what powers electronic devices and is necessary for the transfer of energy.

How does potential difference affect electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current. A higher potential difference will result in a higher current, while a lower potential difference will result in a lower current. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to potential difference (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R.