How Does the Electric Field Influence Potential Difference Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential using the equation V_b-V_a=-∫E(r)dr, where E=-∇V. The resulting value is -26.10^3 V when using the specific values given for the electric field at points a and b. However, the general expression for the integral involves a dot product and is dependent on the electric field at all points along the path of integration.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##V = V (x,y,z) = 10^3(2x^2 + 3y^2 −5z^2 + 7x)−19999##
Find ##V_{ba}
##\vec {r_a}=2i##
##\vec {r_b}=j+k##

Homework Equations

##E## will be ##E=-∇V##
##V_b-V_a=-\int_a^b E(r)\, dr##

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to calculate the potential using ##V_b-V_a=-\int_a^b E(r)dr##, and ##E=-∇V## dr I get ##-26.10^3##
Electric field at a is ##-15.10^3i##
Electrci Field at b is ##-6.10^3j+10.10^3k##
so inital ##V## is ##-30.10^3 V## final ##V## is ##-4.10^3 V## from integral and thres minus sign so its ##-26.10^3 V##
when I use ##V = V (x,y,z) = 10^3(2x^2 + 3y^2 −5z^2 + 7x)−19999## inserting here I get ##-24.10^3V##

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
##V_b-V_a=-\int_a^b E(r)dr##
The general expression is ##V_b-V_a=-\int_a^b \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{s}##, where the integration is along some path connecting the points a and b. The integrand involves a dot product.
Electric field at a is ##-15.10^3i##
Electrci Field at b is ##-6.10^3j+10.10^3k##
so inital ##V## is ##-30.10^3 V## final ##V## is ##-4.10^3 V## from integral and thres minus sign so its ##-26.10^3 V##
It's not clear how you did the integration. What path did you choose? Why did you evaluate ##\vec E## at the specific points a and b? The integral depends on ##\vec E## at all points of the path of integration.

Related to How Does the Electric Field Influence Potential Difference Calculation?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in a given region of space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge in an electric field. It is directly proportional to the electric field strength, with a higher potential associated with a stronger electric field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). It is defined as one joule per coulomb and is represented by the symbol "V".

4. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done on a charged particle by its charge. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/Q, where V is the potential, W is the work done, and Q is the charge.

5. How is electric potential used in practical applications?

Electric potential is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electronic devices, power generation and distribution, and medical devices. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetism in physics and engineering.