The potential difference between a sphere shell and a point

In Summary,The problem asks about the potential inside of a thin shell of equally distributed charge per square unit of surface area. You assume that the charge is located on the outside of the shell. If the shell is made of a conducting material, then the charges will be on the surface only. If the shell is made of an insulating material, then the charges will be on the surface and inside the shell. You need to think about making an assumption about the nature of the material, and if it is a conductor, where would the charge be located?
Tomi Kolawole
media%2F743%2F7436f3ac-42bd-46d3-a0e9-ab46fd466969%2Fphp2t9NJr.png

I am to use this formula:
https://d2vlcm61l7u1fs.cloudfront.net/media/fee/fee798ea-5480-47af-9904-35c76ac35e25/phpSzecLa.png
media%2Ffee%2Ffee798ea-5480-47af-9904-35c76ac35e25%2FphpSzecLa.png

I tried using intergral of (E*dr) as in the equation to integrate over the distance of V(2A)-V(0) But when i am to plug in zero into my integrate it would give a math error in the form of 1/0 since my radius would be 1/r in the integral

Attachments

• media%2F743%2F7436f3ac-42bd-46d3-a0e9-ab46fd466969%2Fphp2t9NJr.png
    media%2F743%2F7436f3ac-42bd-46d3-a0e9-ab46fd466969%2Fphp2t9NJr.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 936
  • media%2Ffee%2Ffee798ea-5480-47af-9904-35c76ac35e25%2FphpSzecLa.png
    media%2Ffee%2Ffee798ea-5480-47af-9904-35c76ac35e25%2FphpSzecLa.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 597
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tomi:

What do you know about the potential inside of a thin shell of equally distributed charge per square unit of surface area?

What do you assume about the charge between radius r and r+dr with respect to the problem statement?

Regards,
Buzz

It says it has uniform charge of -Q all throught out the sphere.So i assume that -Q is for my charge enclosed.Using guass law to formulate the expression for E.

Is the potential zero? I know the electric field is constant due to symetry but is the potential zero?

Why isn't the charge enclosed -Q, since the -Q will gather on the outside of the sphere with radius A

Tomi Kolawole said:
Why isn't the charge enclosed -Q, since the -Q will gather on the outside of the sphere with radius A
Hi Tomi:

The question the problem is asking is not the charge put the potential.

To answer your question in the above quote, you need to think about making an assumption regarding the nature of the material the shell is made of. Is it a conducting material like a metal, or an insulating material mostly like a plastic?

Also, if it were a metal, where would the charge be located?

Regards,
Buzz

if i Assume its a conducting material, the charges can only be on the surface? Where would it be for an insulating material>

i think i have it the other way around,For an insulator the charge will be on the surface only and then for a conductor it will be all around it including within

Tomi Kolawole said:
if i Assume its a conducting material, the charges can only be on the surface? Where would it be for an insulating material>
Hi Tomi:

Inner or outer surface of the shell?

Tomi Kolawole said:
Where would it be for an insulating material>
The original problem statement used the word "uniformly". Do you you are required to explain how that works? Or is it sufficient to just assume that it works?

Regards,
Buzz

since its unformly distrubuted will i need to find its charge density first?
But assuming they said there is a charge -q inside the sphere of radius A, in that case i can assume it an conductor? and then use -Q for my enclosed charged directly? but if its an insulator the charge would be distrubted on the surface of the material instead?

Tomi Kolawole said:
i think i have it the other way around,For an insulator the charge will be on the surface only and then for a conductor it will be all around it including within
Hi Tomi:

A conductor is a material in which charges can move easily. That is why they are used to get electricity form one place to another. an insulator is a material in which charges do not move easily. That is why electric wiring has an insulator on the outside, so that someone touching the outside won't be shocked by the electricity running through the inside conductor.

Imagine someone inside a conducting shell with a source of static electricity, that is, charged particles. If the source touches a point on the the inside surface of the shell, where would the charges move to?

Regards,
Buzz

the charges would move everywhere around the conducting shell

no it would move to the surface of the conductor

Tomi Kolawole said:
o it would move to the surface of the conductor
Hi Tomi:

Inside or outside surface?

Regards,
Buzz

outside surface

Tomi Kolawole said:
since its unformly distrubuted will i need to find its charge density first?
Hi Tomi:

You might want to think about the quantity of charge from a radial perspective. That is, what fraction of the charge is between radius r1 and r2?

Regards,
Buzz

why is it that there is no charge inside the sphere of radius A? because to calculate the electric field from the centre to My gausian saurface between A AND 3A i will have to neglect the distance r<A during my integration.

Tomi Kolawole said:
why is it that there is no charge inside the sphere of radius A?
Hi Tomi:

If there were charged particles inside the shell, how would they react to each other? Where would they end up? How would this affect the "uniformity" of the charge within the shell between R = A and 3A?

Regards,
Buzz

i figured it out and i got the right answer.except i have a -q instead of just a +q in the final answer equation.Is this because its an insulator so the sign of the charge doesn't matter?

also is the charge density of the entire sphere the same at any specific point of the same sphere? what conditions would make this true?

Tomi Kolawole said:
i have a -q instead of just a +q in the final answer equation.Is this because its an insulator so the sign of the charge doesn't matter?

Hi Tomi:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node35.html
This article makes clear that the sign of the resulting potential from a charged source is the same sign as the source.

Tomi Kolawole said:
also is the charge density of the entire sphere the same at any specific point of the same sphere? what conditions would make this true?
That is what "uniformly" means.

Tomi Kolawole said:
i figured it out and i got the right answer.
Congratulations. Good work.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to The potential difference between a sphere shell and a point

1. What is the potential difference between a sphere shell and a point?

The potential difference between a sphere shell and a point is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between a point in space and a point on the surface of a sphere shell that has a uniform charge distribution. It can be calculated by using Coulomb's law and the equation for electric potential.

2. How does the potential difference between a sphere shell and a point affect electric fields?

The potential difference between a sphere shell and a point affects electric fields by creating a gradient of potential energy. Electric fields always point from areas of high potential to areas of low potential, so the electric field will be stronger near the point and weaker near the surface of the sphere shell.

3. Can the potential difference between a sphere shell and a point be negative?

Yes, the potential difference between a sphere shell and a point can be negative. This indicates that the point has a lower electric potential energy than the surface of the sphere shell. It is also possible for the potential difference to be zero if the point is located on the surface of the sphere shell.

4. How do the radii of the sphere shell and point affect the potential difference between them?

The radii of the sphere shell and point do not affect the potential difference between them. As long as the point is located outside of the sphere shell, the potential difference will remain the same regardless of the distance between the two objects. However, the electric field strength will decrease as the distance between the two objects increases.

5. What is the significance of the potential difference between a sphere shell and a point in practical applications?

The potential difference between a sphere shell and a point has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and in understanding the behavior of lightning strikes. It is also an important concept in electrostatics and plays a role in determining the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.