Electric Potential of a Sphere at Different Locations

In summary, a solid insulating sphere with a radius of 3.6 cm and a charge density of -215 μC/m3 is fixed at the origin of a coordinate system. It is surrounded by an uncharged spherical conducting shell with inner radius of 11 cm and outer radius of 13 cm. When solving for the electric potential at the inner surface of the shell and the outer surface of the sphere, it is necessary to integrate from infinity to the respective surface due to the convention of defining the potential at infinity as zero. Integrating from the origin to the respective surfaces will only give the relative potential between those two points.
jakeginobi

Homework Statement

A solid insulating sphere of radius a = 3.6 cm is fixed at the origin of a co-ordinate system as shown. The sphere is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = -215 μC/m3. Concentric with the sphere is an uncharged spherical conducting shell of inner radius b = 11 cm, and outer radius c = 13 cm.

I computed the right values for Question 2) and 3), but for Question 2
I don't understand why I have to integrate over infinity to c = 13 cm, why can't I integrate from the origin of the insulating sphere to b since Question 2 is asking for inner surface of conducting shell?

Question 3)
I don't understand why I have to integrate E potential from infinity to C then add integration from B to A.
Couldn't I just integrate from the origin to a to get the outer surface? Is it because the potential is zero at infinity which is the starting point?

Homework Equations

Integral of (electric field dl)

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 2) k*(-215*10^-6)(4/3pi(0.0036)^3) * 1/c
Question 3) k*(-215*10^-6)(4/3pi(0.0036)^3) * 1/c + k*(-215*10^-6)(4/3pi(0.0036)^3) * (1/a - 1/b)
pbxt8yq.png

Attachments

• pbxt8yq.png
    pbxt8yq.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,360
Physics news on Phys.org
jakeginobi said:
why can't I integrate from the origin of the insulating sphere to b since Question 2 is asking for inner surface of conducting shell?
Electric potential is always relative to some defined zero. In principle, you can choose that zero arbitrarily, but in most cases the convention is to define it as the potential at infinity. In the present case you are instructed to use that convention.
This means that the potential at, say, the origin need not be zero. Integrating from the origin to the inner surface of the shell will only tell you the relative potential of those two points. To find the potential relative to the defined zero you must do at least one integral to infinity.

Likes BvU

Related to Electric Potential of a Sphere at Different Locations

1. What is the electric potential of a sphere at different locations?

The electric potential of a sphere at different locations is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge at a given point on the surface of the sphere. It is measured in volts (V) and is determined by the charge and size of the sphere, as well as the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How is the electric potential of a sphere affected by its charge?

The electric potential of a sphere is directly proportional to its charge. This means that as the charge on the sphere increases, the electric potential also increases. Similarly, if the charge decreases, the electric potential decreases.

3. What happens to the electric potential of a sphere as you move further away from its center?

As you move further away from the center of a sphere, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

4. Can the electric potential of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a sphere can be negative. This occurs when the sphere has a net negative charge. In this case, the electric potential will be negative at all points on the surface of the sphere.

5. How does the size of a sphere affect its electric potential?

The size of a sphere has a direct effect on its electric potential. A larger sphere will have a higher electric potential than a smaller sphere with the same charge. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the size of the sphere.