The philosophy forums: Locked Posts & No Religion

• Thread starter Sikz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the no religion policy on the philosophy forums and how it is being enforced. Some posts that are not strictly religious in nature are being locked, causing frustration for some members. The policy allows for philosophical discussions about the existence of a god, but not for religious discussions. The forum moderators suggest looking for past discussions in the archives. However, some members argue that not all locked topics are strictly religious and should be allowed. The definition of religion and its relation to the policy is also discussed.
Sikz
This no religion thing is getting a bit out of hand, wouldn't you agree (preferably someone who actually reads the philosophy forums :P)? I mean... Here's a post. There was absolutely no reason for that to be closed- the no religion thing said no RELIGIOUS posts (EG "How does John 3:16 effect your lifestyle?"), but philosophical discussions about the existence of a god were still fine. That thread (the one the link went to) perfectly fit those criteria, it was a philosophical discussion and not a religious one. It seems like several posts that shouldn't have been locked HAVE been locked lately, and it's rather annoying... Not that I'm asking anyone to just do whatever I say, I would just like the admins to take a look at some of the posts that have been locked lately (like that one) and see if they agree with me. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
as a member of PF for almost 3 years, i have seen that most of the religious topics turn into high emotional mud slinging...i really don't care to sift through this BS and it is our policy to not have religious discussions...there is always the option of submitting posts from our archives, perhaps you might find a religious discussion that intrigues you there...

My very point is that not all of the topics being locked are "religious". (defined by the notice prohibiting them)

Originally posted by Sikz
My very point is that not all of the topics being locked are "religious". (defined by the notice prohibiting them)

when we decided to nix the religion forum, we decided to continue discussions regarding "god" in the philosophical perspective...

see this link for further clairification:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1982

religion entails the denominations of belief, "god" doesn't necessarily mean religion...

Related to The philosophy forums: Locked Posts & No Religion

1. What is the purpose of locking posts and not allowing discussions about religion on the philosophy forums?

The purpose of locking posts and prohibiting discussions about religion on the philosophy forums is to maintain a focused and respectful environment for philosophical discussions. These restrictions help to prevent heated debates and arguments that can often arise when discussing religion, and allow for a more productive and intellectual exchange of ideas.

2. Why can't we have open discussions about religion on a philosophy forum?

Religion is a highly personal and sensitive topic, and discussions about it can quickly become emotionally charged and devolve into arguments. By prohibiting discussions about religion on the philosophy forums, it helps to create a space where individuals from all backgrounds can engage in thoughtful and respectful discussions without fear of personal attacks or offense.

3. Is it censorship to not allow discussions about religion on the philosophy forums?

No, it is not censorship. Censorship is typically imposed by a governing authority or organization to suppress certain information or ideas. The decision to not allow discussions about religion on the philosophy forums is a community-based decision made to maintain a specific atmosphere and focus on philosophical discussions.

4. What if I want to discuss the philosophical aspects of religion on the philosophy forums?

The philosophy forums are open to discussions about various philosophical topics, including those related to religion. However, discussions must be approached from a philosophical standpoint and not from a religious or personal belief standpoint. This means that discussions should focus on the philosophical implications and arguments surrounding religion, rather than personal beliefs or experiences.

5. Can I still discuss religion in a respectful manner on the philosophy forums?

Yes, you can still engage in respectful discussions about religion on the philosophy forums as long as they are approached from a philosophical perspective. This means avoiding personal attacks, proselytizing, and using philosophical reasoning and arguments to discuss the topic. It is important to remember that the philosophy forums are not meant to be a platform for promoting or debating religious beliefs, but rather a space for philosophical inquiry and discussion.