Goodbye Philosophy Forum: Will You Miss It?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Philosophy forum will be closing in one week, Monday the 15th, with all threads being closed and merged into General Discussion. This decision has been made due to the difficulty of moderating the forum and the majority of members requesting its removal. Some members are sad to see it go, while others are happy about its closure. Suggestions have been made to replace it with a kitten or lolcats forum, or perhaps discussing quantum mechanics in relation to politics. Regardless, the forum will be missed by some.
The Philosophy forum will be closing in one week, Monday the 15th. All threads will be closed and merged into General Discussion. The reason is that the Philosophy forum over the past couple years has been almost impossible to moderate fairly and two out of three threads end up locked. Please finish up any discussion you have there. Thanks for your understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow...wish y'all could see Evo doing the Happy Dance in the Mentor's Forum :-p!

It's something that is long overdue and will be best for PF. No active forum members post there except as an exception. The majority of members have asked why it is there. It's just not something that we can keep within the scientific guidelines of the forum.

lisab said:
Wow...wish y'all could see Evo doing the Happy Dance in the Mentor's Forum :-p!

Nonsense, you can tell from Evo's post that she is absolutely heartbroken over the closure of the Philosophy Forum. There, there, girl. Have a cookie and some juice. *Hands Evo a cookie and some juice*

Finally!
Well, s***, there goes our inside jokes...

Drakkith said:
Nonsense, you can tell from Evo's post that she is absolutely heartbroken over the closure of the Philosophy Forum. There, there, girl. Have a cookie and some juice. *Hands Evo a cookie and some juice*
:nom nom gulp, of course I am distraught, mmm, more cookies...more juice

You can have some of my Cheetos... oops, sorry, just finished the bag. :blushing:

jtbell said:
You can have some of my Cheetos... oops, sorry, just finished the bag. :blushing:
Et tu jt?? Evo Child stopped by the other day with a bag of Cheetos. I *LOVE* Cheetos, fried though, she had baked, so it was less painful. If you're going to sin, go all the way, get fried.

Evo said:
Et tu jt?? Evo Child stopped by the other day with a bag of Cheetos. I *LOVE* Cheetos, fried though, she had baked, so it was less painful. If you're going to sin, go all the way, get fried.

I wonder...fried cupcakes? Perhaps heaven on Earth? Perhaps soggy greasy mess?

Drakkith said:
I wonder...fried cupcakes? Perhaps heaven on Earth? Perhaps soggy greasy mess?
Ok, some things should not be fried. :eek:

what about fried ice cream? I tried it once. Wasn't terrible, but why?! (To prove it can be done?!)

Oh nooooo, not the philosophy forum! It had so much amazing and interesting threads! </sarcasm>

Can we replace the forum by a kitten forum? :biggrin:

PAllen said:
what about fried ice cream? I tried it once. Wasn't terrible, but why?! (To prove it can be done?!)
They do fry things just to see if they can be fried, the worst had to be the stick of fried butter.

micromass said:

But can we be sure kittens really exist? I propose they are simply shadows of a true quantum reality!

Hurkyl said:
But can we be sure kittens really exist? I propose they are simply shadows of a true quantum reality!

Oh come on. Kittens exist, you just can't tell if they are alive when sleeping or in a box.

micromass said:

Great idea! Then we can move all the Schrödinger's cat threads there. :-p

(Wat iz probability of my chezburger?)

jtbell said:
Great idea! Then we can move all the Schrödinger's cat threads there. :-p

(Wat iz probability of my chezburger?)

Uh oh, your cheeseburgers wavefunction collapsed! And now it is gone.

I can haz cake and eat 2?

Hurkyl said:
I can haz cake and eat 2?
I think Philosophy should be replaced with a lolcats forum. Look at how famous icanhascheezburgers is!

A happier bunch of Mentors I've never seen.

domscijames-546x500.jpg

What's with the cookie instead of the "ö"? :confused:

Oh, never mind... "oe" = "ö".

jtbell said:

It has a hint of Alum.

Pucker1.jpg

jtbell said:

Oh, never mind... "oe" = "ö".

dlgoff said:
It has a hint of Alum.

Pucker1.jpg

I don't think I get either of those.

"e^i*pi = -1 therefore God exists. Reply!" -- Leonhard Euler.

It's actually a pretty good argument.

ImaLooser said:
"e^i*pi = -1 therefore God exists. Reply!" -- Leonhard Euler.

It's actually a pretty good argument.

I don't follow how it would be.

Sidenote:
Perhaps this is semantics but what you wrote is equal to 1.69740975 + 2.64355906 i, e^(i*pi) = -1

Now, about that Politics forum...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
:smile:

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

I think we should quantize politicians. I don't even know what that means but I think we should do it.

Drakkith said:
I think we should quantize politicians. I don't even know what that means but I think we should do it.

Successful politicians live in a superposition of states.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
I wonder where people will throw their fits if there weren't any Politics forum.

Glad to see the Quantum Mechanics forum has escaped the philosophy cull!

Shame. Perhaps it could reopen when you find a philosophical moderator or two. I have to agree though that the forum was awful as a free-for-all.

PAllen said:
Successful politicians live in a superposition of states.

Superpositions like the EU, perhaps?

arildno said:
Superpositions like the EU, perhaps?

Well, I was thinking of the requirement to maintain a superposition of conflicting opinions; and that the observer (audience) influences the opinion. However, I like your example as well.:wink: