The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
I had a quick search on Webb for updates on that issue with MIRI

I did not find anything.

This image was on the site though, “Webb Reveals Shells of Dust Surrounding Brilliant Binary Star System.”

1666253408455.png

What is this top right? It looks very symmetrical in shape and colour, just an optical effect from the telescope like diffraction spikes?

1666253518991.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
just an optical effect from the telescope like diffraction spikes?
You may be right but if the effect is being introduced locally (to the telescope) then what could be special about the light from the star? It doesn't occur for other stars.
The effect seems to be a rare one.
Those regular fringes extend over millions of km, if we assume they're actually around the star. There's nothing that uniform around a star so if it were 'waves of ejecta', due to regular explosions, the spacing would change with distance unless the speeds are colossal and the star's gravity is having negligible effect. A series of images, over a long period, could reveal motion but wouldn't that require a very long timescale?

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
just an optical effect from the telescope like diffraction spikes?
Maybe dust from the main star being imaged? The other stars may be in front of the dust.

Likes pinball1970
Borg said:
Maybe dust from the main star being imaged? The other stars may be in front of the dust.
Possibly but no apparent colour fringes and the star is not monochromatic.
Weird.

Side side with Hubble on the left from 2014
I turned on all the lights off in the office so I could see this in all its glory.
Wow.

1666268948780.png

Likes KurtLudwig, DennisN, Grinkle and 1 other person
sophiecentaur said:
Weird.
Perhaps I am reading tea leaves. The hexagonal pattern is obviously from the optics (likely the mirror shape) but to my eye the green shape is rotated 30o relatve to the red one. I having trouble figuring a plausability argument for that, either diffraction or refraction. One also should be cognizant that these are false colors.

But why aren’t all (bright) star images like it?

sophiecentaur said:
But why aren’t all (bright) star images like it?
My best guess (I just thought of it) is that it looks like the internal "camera" reflection from either the bright object in field or perhaps one just out of field off axis. I don't know enough about Webb optics to be any more definitive

hutchphd said:
My best guess (I just thought of it) is that it looks like the internal "camera" reflection from either the bright object in field or perhaps one just out of field off axis. I don't know enough about Webb optics to be any more definitive
I tried blowing up some of the other objects but they all were too blurred.

Is there a NASA source to get such images with full resolution?

pinball1970 said:
I tried blowing up some of the other objects
Did you borrow Peter's blaster again? I thought we already had "the talk" about that... :wink:

1666288436083.png

https://www.deviantart.com/nocturnbros/art/Marvin-the-Martian-invades-DEATH-BATTLE-683673659

• Haha
Likes Imager, sophiecentaur, phinds and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
Is there a NASA source to get such images with full resolution?
The image is from the NASA site. I have been looking at other images and cannot see anything like this.
Dust has been mentioned, if it is fairly evenly distributed then could the rings which look almost concentric cause that effect via some sort diffraction?

Likes anorlunda
pinball1970 said:
some sort diffraction?
But there are no coloured edges and you don't get diffraction effects from massive objects (i.e. out in space). Diffraction would have to be taking place the telescope optics and would apply to many images of the appropriate brightness.

The explanation that it's due to ripples in dust, caused by regular pulses of light certainly gets my vote. 1. Regular pattern. 2. No colour effects. 3. The fact that it's a rare effect indicates some very high energy involved.

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.10074
with a nice write-up by John Timmer at
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ed-from-galaxies-11-billion-light-years-away/

New Webb images illuminate the formation of a galaxy cluster​

A team of researchers is publishing a paper based on new images taken by the Webb Space Telescope. The images reveal a dense concentration of matter in the early Universe, potentially indicating early stages in the formation of a galaxy cluster. And thanks to the spectrograph present, Webb was able to confirm that several galaxies previously imaged by Hubble were also part of the cluster. It even tracked the flow of gas ejected by the largest galaxy present.
image-11-800x924.png

• Informative
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation (and possible thread split to break off the side-discussion about diffraction effects in telescopes)...

Likes pinball1970 and sophiecentaur
https://esawebb.org/news/weic2219/?lang :
The NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope has revealed the once-hidden features of the protostar within the dark cloud L1527 with its Near Infrared Camera (NIRCam), providing insight into the formation of a new star. These blazing clouds within the Taurus star-forming region are only visible in infrared light, making it an ideal target for Webb.
weic2219a.jpg

• Love
Likes berkeman, Maarten Havinga, Borg and 1 other person
They have fixed the issue with MIRI apparently. Nothing on the NASA site though.

Last edited:
Analysis of micrometeorite impacts shows that the May event was likely really bad luck and should stay an outlier instead of a regular occurrence.

• Informative
Likes collinsmark, andrew s 1905, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Which one of those two guys actually threw the test brick? It would certainly be a CV item for him.

• Haha
Likes BvU
Make your own JWST.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, DAH, collinsmark and 4 others
I don't understand why they felt compelled to make a video of a still image/

"Better"? It's in different wavelengths. Is green better than red? Or blue?

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
"Better"? It's in different wavelengths. Is green better than red? Or blue?
Resolution, detail.

Likes vanhees71
Uranus is pretty featureless. The rings seem to come out better, but that doesn;t surprise me in the IR.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Motore
Vanadium 50 said:
Uranus is pretty featureless. The rings seem to come out better, but that doesn;t surprise me
…please let me resist temptation for bad joke …

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, phinds and Borg
The opportunities for Uranus jokes are...ahem...endless. And besides jokes, there is...inuendo.

Should I go on?

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Borg
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't understand why they felt compelled to make a video of a still image/
Standard way of getting good planetary images. They aren't short of light with a big scope (or even a home one) so a large set of sequential images allows software to reject bad ones, re-position the selected images and then stack them. It's better than plain stacking of a few long exposures. Also, the contrast range will be a lot les for a planet than for galaxies and nebulae so it's a very different job altogether. "It's a very different job.":kiss:!!
There are pros and cons about flyby images vs Hubble images. Hubble can spot changes where a brilliant flyby image just shows things as they are - once in decades.

• Informative
Likes Imager, vanhees71, BvU and 1 other person
No, what I don'y understand is why they took a picture and then put the picture on Youtube,. Why not just post the picture, a la APOD. Or is that so 20th century?

Likes vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
Vanadium 50 said:
No, what I don'y understand is why they took a picture and then put the picture on Youtube,. Why not just post the picture, a la APOD. Or is that so 20th century?
Oh, right. That sort of presentation is reckoned to be more sexy, I think. Screen saver stuff. But the image is not very special in the first place.

Likes vanhees71