The fan mode of an Air Conditioner?

In summary, the air conditioner in fan mode uses the cylindrical roller at the bottom of the machine to spin and regulate the air inside the room. The other two modes are cool and fan. The machine only uses the pipe connecting the indoor and outdoor units in the cool mode. The other two modes are unknown to the author.
Riscilla
Hi friends,

My air conditioner is a split one (it has 2 parts: one inside the house and the other outside). It has 4 modes of operation: cool, fan, and 2 other modes.

My question is that what does the machine really do in the fan mode? I wonder whether it just serves as a normal fan (which means it just circulates the air inside the room), or it can help exchange the air inside the room with the outdoor air?

Thanks for reading my question.

Riscilla.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Riscilla said:
Hi friends,

My air conditioner is a split one (it has 2 parts: one inside the house and the other outside). It has 4 modes of operation: cool, fan, and 2 other modes.

My question is that what does the machine really do in the fan mode? I wonder whether it just serves as a normal fan (which means it just circulates the air inside the room), or it can help exchange the air inside the room with the outdoor air?

Thanks for reading my question.

Riscilla.

ans. In fan mode the cylindrical roller at the bottom of AC spins which regulates the indoor air

What are the other two modes?

On all of my thermostats they were COOL, FAN, HEAT and AUTO. The fan does exactly what you think, it is intended to simply circulate the air and run it through your furnace filter. A lot of people advocate doing this.

Thank you for your answers. So the pipe connecting the indoor and outdoor units is of no use in this mode? I guess that this pipe is only used to transfer the coolant gas, and hence is only used in the cool mode, am I correct?

Phrak said:
What are the other two modes?
I don't know, because in the remote control, the modes are displayed as symbols, not text. Indeed I have never tried those modes before.

sounds like you have a window unit. Thats what I cool with, too (I believe they end up being more efficient than central systems) It seems as though the fan only recirculates the air in the room. Some window units also have a vent mode, where you can open an internal door between both sides. On mine the modes are: low cool, high cool, economy mode, and fan

dr

Oh. I made the assumption (bad I know) that it was a central unit. Whoops.

No the OP said it was a split system: a central air handler with remote condenser.

Something like the Mitsubishi's that I help install. Very efficient and stylish units I might add.

I have an air conditioner unit. It sits on the windowsill of my apartment. The maker appears to be a registered trademark named Simplicity. The unit has the two modes, air conditioner mode and fan mode. It seems to have a control for three speeds, high, medium and low. Then there is a control to make two blades glide back and forth. I should think those are to circulate the air inside the apartment here? These blades have a switch for close and open. The unit has what looks like a timer control, it is a button with a clock symbol. I guess that is so the air conditioner goes on and off at a specified hour. There are the important temperature controls. One control that has got me a little confused is a button with a picture of a pointing finger. Pressing that seems to turn off the fan or air conditioner. Is that for turning off those functions while keeping the unit active? The power on/off switch I understand. Any information is welcome to illuminate my understanding.

Related to The fan mode of an Air Conditioner?

1. How does the fan mode of an Air Conditioner work?

The fan mode of an Air Conditioner works by circulating the air within a room without cooling or heating it. It simply blows the existing air around the room, creating a breeze that can make the room feel more comfortable.

2. When should I use the fan mode on my Air Conditioner?

The fan mode is best used when you want to circulate the air in a room without changing its temperature. It can be useful in mild weather when the air is not too hot or cold, or when you want to save energy by not using the cooling or heating function of your air conditioner.

3. Can using the fan mode save energy?

Yes, using the fan mode on your Air Conditioner can save energy. Since the fan mode only circulates the air without using the cooling or heating function, it consumes less energy compared to using the air conditioner in cooling or heating mode.

4. Is the fan mode of an Air Conditioner noisy?

The noise level of the fan mode on an Air Conditioner can vary depending on the model and brand. However, in general, the fan mode is quieter than using the cooling or heating mode. It is still recommended to check the noise level of the specific air conditioner model before purchasing.

5. Can the fan mode of an Air Conditioner improve indoor air quality?

Yes, the fan mode can help improve indoor air quality by circulating the air and promoting better air flow. It can help remove stale air and reduce the concentration of pollutants, dust, and allergens in the room. However, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the air conditioner to ensure optimal air quality.