Should I close the door when running AC in fan mode

In Summary, if you want to open the door to the bathroom, it doesn't really matter whether you close the door or not. Opening the door will bring in outside air, but "fan mode" on the system won't affect that. If you want to open the door to outside, it doesn't really matter whether you close the door or not.
Altiano
I have a 3x3.5 (meters) room with a bathroom of approximately 1.5 x 2.
I want to know whether to close the door or not, If I running Fan Mode.
There is wall in front of my door, about 60 cm,

My assumption: Fan mode only circulate the air, If I open the door, I'll bring outside air in, which is better than just inside air

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have not heard before of a fan mode in a bathroom.
In my own bathroom there is an extractor fan; the fan goes on when the light is on,
(that is, somebody is using the bathroom)
Opening a door or closing it will not make a lot of difference to the flow of air.
Air is gases; gases flow from higher pressure to lower pressure and solid objects usually don't stop it. gas finds a way around it.

Last edited:
Altiano said:
I have a 3x3.5 (meters) room with a bathroom of approximately 1.5 x 2.
I want to know whether to close the door or not, If I running Fan Mode.
There is wall in front of my door, about 60 cm,

My assumption: Fan mode only circulate the air, If I open the door, I'll bring outside air in, which is better than just inside air
There are some things that aren't clear to me, but I'll give this a shot:
1. Yes, "fan mode" just re-circulates. It does not bring in outside air.
2. What door are you opening? Door to outside or door to bathroom. If it is the door to the bathroom, I don't see why outside air will come in. If it is the door to outside, sure, air will come in, but your system's "fan mode" won't affect that.
3. Sometimes bringing in outside air is useful and sometimes it isn't.

Likes CWatters
Your OP doesn't mention temperature or humidity at all (inside or out) so really impossible to know what you are trying to achieve.

Where I live opening an outside door is currently a bad idea, but in 5-6 hours it will be a fabulous idea, I can't wait.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
There are some things that aren't clear to me, but I'll give this a shot:
1. Yes, "fan mode" just re-circulates. It does not bring in outside air.
2. What door are you opening? Door to outside or door to bathroom. If it is the door to the bathroom, I don't see why outside air will come in. If it is the door to outside, sure, air will come in, but your system's "fan mode" won't affect that.
3. Sometimes bringing in outside air is useful and sometimes it isn't.

Okay, I'll try to explain a little bit more of the room,
- There are no windows in the room
- What I open is the door to the outside
- Not really "outside (like open field)", because the room is in the (boarding) house.
- In front of that door is a wall, on the right about 20cm, is a window.

Actually I am curious to know what are the benefits for opening the door and closing the door when running on "Fan Mode".

CWatters said:
Your OP doesn't mention temperature or humidity at all (inside or out) so really impossible to know what you are trying to achieve.

Where I live opening an outside door is currently a bad idea, but in 5-6 hours it will be a fabulous idea, I can't wait.

Just want to know what will happen in 5-6 hours? :)

Altiano said:
Just want to know what will happen in 5-6 hours? :)

The sun sets and it gets cooler outside than inside.

Likes Averagesupernova and russ_watters
If you want to go for an overkill solution, you can try and simulate it with SimScale. There are examples that are similar to yours like the airflow in an office space.

You can get sign up and create a free account and try things.

Related to Should I close the door when running AC in fan mode

1. Should I close the door when running AC in fan mode?

It is recommended to close the door when running the AC in fan mode for maximum efficiency. This will allow the room to cool down faster and prevent cool air from escaping.

2. Will closing the door while running AC in fan mode damage the air conditioner?

No, closing the door while running the AC in fan mode will not damage the air conditioner. In fact, it can help improve the performance of the AC by allowing it to cool the room effectively.

3. Can I leave the door slightly open when using AC in fan mode?

It is not recommended to leave the door slightly open when using AC in fan mode. This can cause the AC to work harder and use more energy to cool the room, resulting in higher electricity bills.

4. Is it necessary to close the door when using AC in fan mode if I have a window open?

Yes, it is still recommended to close the door when using AC in fan mode even if you have a window open. This will prevent hot air from entering the room and disrupting the cooling process.

5. Can I leave the door open when using AC in fan mode if I want to circulate fresh air?

If your main goal is to circulate fresh air, then it is not necessary to close the door when using AC in fan mode. However, keep in mind that this may not cool the room as effectively as keeping the door closed.