Teaching university for my master's

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for a private teaching college experience in a graduate program for physics, with the question of whether any such institutions exist and how to achieve this goal. Suggestions are made for pursuing a Masters degree in Europe or self-study with the help of the internet.
mxbob468
there was a post on www.reddit.com/r/science a couple of days ago that involved someone bitching about dealing with foreign grad students teaching all of their classes wherein someone commented something along the lines of "you should have gone to a private teaching college instead of a research university".

this got me thinking.

i graduated last year with a bs in math and 1 credit short of a double major in physics and i want to go on to a phd in physics but i want that same "private teaching college" experience in my coursework. i'd like to learn all the basic physics very well (read:e&m,cm,qm,thermal/stats) so i was wondering if there were any schools that would be like going to a teaching college for undergrad but for a master's? and would i have to pay for it or could i TA my way through? for example reed college is a reputed undergrad teaching college but has no master's in physics. schools abroad aren't out of the question either though i speak only english at a college level.

i guess basically this question boils down to does anyone know a school where the teachers are very good pedagogues and won't push me into a research group until maybe I've taken my quals or finished my courses? i know this pretty much antithetical to what graduate school is all about but short of this i have no idea how to accomplish what i want, that is learn the physics very well and only then go on to research.

in my wildest dreams i'd just do my bachelor's in physics over again at at such a teaching school but no one will let you do that (nevermind being able to afford it).

before someone lobs this at me pejoratively: yes i'd like a second chance at this whole physics thing.

fake edit: some people will say study it on your own and i am doing that. I'm reviewing freshman physics by doing all of the problems in resnick krane (second edition!) in preparation for the pgre and then have cm by morin, em by griffiths, qm by shankar, and thermal/stats by shroeder slated but i don't think it's good enough.

cross posted at r/physics

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is "no". If you want a private teaching college experience where everyone is taught by professors, you are not going to get them to fund you through a TA-ship. Can you see the logical problem if the answer were "yes"?

i get your point. fine so id have to pay my way through but that part of the question was an afterthought anyway. the salient part was whether a such a teaching institution exists and barring that what should i do...

Try looking into a Masters degree in Europe. Fees are much cheaper. Pretty certain the research component is only in the second year. My guess is teaching will be hit and miss in most places. It all comes down to whether the school you're applying to have people who teach in a way that is suited to you. Anyway, why don't you try learning your material on your own and with the help of the internet?

I can understand your desire for a more focused and rigorous education in physics before diving into research. While research universities do have a strong emphasis on research, there are still opportunities for students to receive quality instruction in the classroom. However, if you are looking for a more teaching-focused experience, you may want to consider attending a smaller, liberal arts college for your master's degree.

There are several smaller colleges that offer master's programs in physics, such as Swarthmore College, Williams College, and Amherst College. These institutions often have a strong emphasis on undergraduate teaching and may offer smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction. However, keep in mind that these programs may be more competitive and may require strong academic credentials for admission.

In terms of funding, it is possible to TA your way through a master's program, but it may depend on the specific institution and program. It may be worth researching the funding options available at the schools you are considering.

Additionally, don't discount the value of self-study. It sounds like you are already taking steps to review and strengthen your understanding of physics. This can be a valuable supplement to your coursework and can help you excel in your studies.

In the end, it's important to find a program that aligns with your goals and learning style. Whether that is a research university or a smaller college, the key is to find a program that will provide you with the education and experiences you need to achieve your goals in physics. Best of luck in your search!

Related to Teaching university for my master's

1. What is the purpose of teaching university for my master's?

The purpose of teaching university for your master's degree is to gain experience in teaching while pursuing your advanced degree. It allows you to develop your skills as an educator and prepare for a potential career in academia.

2. How does teaching university for my master's affect my studies?

Teaching university for your master's can have both positive and negative effects on your studies. On one hand, it can improve your time management and communication skills, as well as deepen your understanding of the subject material. On the other hand, it can also add additional responsibilities and time commitments to your already demanding schedule, so it is important to find a balance between teaching and studying.

3. What qualifications do I need to teach university for my master's?

The specific qualifications for teaching university for your master's may vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, you should have a strong academic background in the subject you wish to teach, excellent communication and organization skills, and a passion for teaching and mentoring students.

4. Will teaching university for my master's help me in my career?

Teaching university for your master's can be beneficial for your career in several ways. It can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for academic positions. It can also provide valuable teaching experience and references for future job opportunities.

5. How do I balance my teaching responsibilities with my research and coursework for my master's degree?

Balancing teaching, research, and coursework can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. It may be helpful to create a schedule and set aside specific times for each task. Additionally, communication with your advisor and colleagues can help you find a balance and support you in your academic endeavors.