Taking classical limit question (statistical mechanics )

In summary: I don't see what you are worried about. If ##|x| << 1## then ##e^x \approx 1+x##. It doesn't matter whether ##x## is positive or negative. And, of course, you can't Taylor expand ##\log## around ##0##.No I don't understand because ##e^{-x} ## for ##x<<1## is large, and so by neglecting any term you are neglecting a significant contribution? (whereas for ##e^x## ofc you are not neglecting a significant contribution but smaller terms which makes complete sense)..No, for x << 1 , e-x ≈ 1-x
binbagsss
1. Homework Statement

Question attached.

freee.png

I am looking at the second line limit ##\beta (h/2\pi) \omega << 1 ##

2. Homework Equations

above

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)In general in an expansion we neglect terms when we expand about some the variable taking small values of the function because the other terms are so small and so we get a good approximation from e.g first order terms. so in this case i see in the exponential expansion we have gone up to ##O(x=\beta (h/2\pi) \omega )## and the '1s' have cancelled. However, to me this makes sense if we were looking at ##\exp^{x}## but instead we are looking at ##e^{-x}## and when we raise to a negative exponent between ##0 < x <1 ## this is large, so why do we expand out?

for e.g i the log term in the 2nd term must be tending ##\to -\infty ## and I thought this is the reason we don't expand it out? or why do we not expand it out, I know in general you can't expand out ## \log (0) ## and it seems like we have a limiting case of this, but..thanks

Attachments

• freee.png
    freee.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 791
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
1. Homework Statement

Question attached.

View attachment 222448

I am looking at the second line limit ##\beta (h/2\pi) \omega << 1 ##

2. Homework Equations

above

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)In general in an expansion we neglect terms when we expand about some the variable taking small values of the function because the other terms are so small and so we get a good approximation from e.g first order terms. so in this case i see in the exponential expansion we have gone up to ##O(x=\beta (h/2\pi) \omega )## and the '1s' have cancelled. However, to me this makes sense if we were looking at ##\exp^{x}## but instead we are looking at ##e^{-x}## and when we raise to a negative exponent between ##0 < x <1 ## this is large, so why do we expand out?

for e.g i the log term in the 2nd term must be tending ##\to -\infty ## and I thought this is the reason we don't expand it out? or why do we not expand it out, I know in general you can't expand out ## \log (0) ## and it seems like we have a limiting case of this, but..thanks

I don't see what you are worried about. If ##|x| << 1## then ##e^x \approx 1+x##. It doesn't matter whether ##x## is positive or negative. And, of course, you can't Taylor expand ##\log## around ##0##.

Dick said:
I don't see what you are worried about. If ##|x| << 1## then ##e^x \approx 1+x##. It doesn't matter whether ##x## is positive or negative. And, of course, you can't Taylor expand ##\log## around ##0##.

No I don't understand because ##e^{-x} ## for ##x<<1## is large, and so by neglecting any term you are neglecting a significant contribution? (whereas for ##e^x## ofc you are not neglecting a significant contribution but smaller terms which makes complete sense)..

No, for x << 1 , e-x ≈ 1-x
Do you really think e0.001 and e-0.001 are very different?

Related to Taking classical limit question (statistical mechanics )

What is the classical limit in statistical mechanics?

The classical limit in statistical mechanics refers to the scenario where a system of particles or molecules is considered to be in a macroscopic scale. This means that the system is composed of a large number of particles, and their individual properties and behavior are not significant. Instead, the focus is on the collective behavior of the system as a whole.

Why is the classical limit important in statistical mechanics?

The classical limit is important because it allows us to simplify the mathematical calculations and analysis of a system of particles. In many cases, the classical limit is a good approximation for systems that are not too small or too large, making it a useful tool in understanding the behavior of matter at a macroscopic level.

How is the classical limit different from the quantum limit?

The classical limit and the quantum limit are two different approaches to understanding the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. The classical limit focuses on the collective behavior of a large number of particles, while the quantum limit takes into account the individual properties of particles and their interactions. The classical limit is applicable to macroscopic systems, while the quantum limit is used for microscopic systems.

What are some examples of systems where the classical limit is applicable?

The classical limit is applicable to a wide range of systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It is also used in the study of thermodynamics, where the behavior of macroscopic systems is analyzed. Other examples include the study of phase transitions, the behavior of colloidal suspensions, and the properties of materials.

How is the classical limit related to thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations in a system. The classical limit is closely related to thermodynamics because it allows us to study the macroscopic behavior of a system and its energy transformations. The laws of thermodynamics, such as the conservation of energy and the increase of entropy, are applicable in the classical limit and help us understand the behavior of matter at a macroscopic level.