Statistical Mechanics- moments/cumulants, log expansion

In summary, moments and cumulants are two measures used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of a physical system. Moments are calculated using the raw data values, while cumulants are calculated using the logarithms of the data values. The log expansion method is used in statistical mechanics to simplify the calculation of moments and cumulants. These two measures are related through the moment-generating function and can be used interchangeably in statistical calculations. Their main purpose is to gain insights into the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future behavior, and they can be used to describe any type of distribution.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Using log taylor expansion to express cumulants in terms of moments

I have worked through the expansion- ##log(1+\epsilon)= ...## see thumbnail- and that's ok; my question is why does the expansion hold, i.e. all i can see is it must be that ##k## is small- how is this defined as so?

In all my studies on Fourier transforms, I don't ever recall talking about the size of the transform variable being small- (minus the exception of perhaps a boundary condition, and then k is a function of L and then as L gets large k is small) but why here would we require k small, and why isn't this mentioned?

Homework Equations

my lectures notes here:
cm.png

The Attempt at a Solution

as above

Attachments

• cm.png
    cm.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,050
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Using log taylor expansion to express cumulants in terms of moments

I have worked through the expansion- ##log(1+\epsilon)= ...## see thumbnail- and that's ok; my question is why does the expansion hold, i.e. all i can see is it must be that ##k## is small- how is this defined as so?

In all my studies on Fourier transforms, I don't ever recall talking about the size of the transform variable being small- (minus the exception of perhaps a boundary condition, and then k is a function of L and then as L gets large k is small) but why here would we require k small, and why isn't this mentioned?

Homework Equations

my lectures notes here:View attachment 232140

The Attempt at a Solution

as above

The expansion
$$\ln(1+r) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k-1} \frac{r^k}{k} \hspace{4ex}(1)$$ holds only for ##|r| < 1.## Thus, if you write
$$\rho(k) = 1 + \underbrace{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-ik)^n}{n!} \langle x^n \rangle}_{=\;r}$$
you need ##|k|## small enough to ensure ##|r| < 1## in order to be able to apply expansion (1) to ##\tilde{\rho}(k) = \ln \rho(k).## (Since ##r = r(k)## is continuous in ##k## and vanishes when ##k=0##, there will be a ##k##-interval surrounding ##0## that ensures ##|r(k)| < 1## whenever ##k## lies in that interval.)

Ray Vickson said:
The expansion
$$\ln(1+r) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k-1} \frac{r^k}{k} \hspace{4ex}(1)$$ holds only for ##|r| < 1.## Thus, if you write
$$\rho(k) = 1 + \underbrace{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-ik)^n}{n!} \langle x^n \rangle}_{=\;r}$$
you need ##|k|## small enough to ensure ##|r| < 1## in order to be able to apply expansion (1) to ##\tilde{\rho}(k) = \ln \rho(k).## (Since ##r = r(k)## is continuous in ##k## and vanishes when ##k=0##, there will be a ##k##-interval surrounding ##0## that ensures ##|r(k)| < 1## whenever ##k## lies in that interval.)

Thank you for your reply, and where is it assumed in the notes that k is small enough ? Is this a common sort of assumption with Fourier transforms or not ? Ta.

any time you see a series with a constraint like ##\big \vert r \big \vert \lt 1## you should immediately ponder the geometric series as a building block.
- - - -
It looks like your author if defining the cumulant as the log of the characteristic function... I've always seen it the other way: cumulant is log of MGF.

It's worth contemplating the differences here.

binbagsss said:
Thank you for your reply, and where is it assumed in the notes that k is small enough ? Is this a common sort of assumption with Fourier transforms or not ? Ta.

No: the Fourier transform may exist for all ##k##, and the series (1) may also be valid for all ##k##. However, as I said already (and will repeat here), the expansion ##\ln(1+r) = \sum_{k \geq 1} (-1) ^{k-1} r^k/k## is valid only if ##-1 < r \leq 1.## Therefore, when you write ##\rho(k) = 1 + r(k)## --- where ##r(k)## is the characteristic series for terms ##k^n, \; n \geq 1## --- we need ##|k|## small enough that we have ##|r(k)| < 1.## Just how large ##k## is allowed to be depends on the probability distribution, but for most distributions there will be at least a small ##k##-interval around ##0## that will work.

As for where in your notes it is assumed that ##k## is small enough: I cannot say. Maybe they do not say it anywhere---I cannot tell. All I can do is explain the situation to you as I have done: in typical case, having ##k## small enough ensures that ##|r(k)| < 1## and that allows your ##\ln##-function expansion.

Related to Statistical Mechanics- moments/cumulants, log expansion

1. What is the difference between moments and cumulants in statistical mechanics?

Moments and cumulants are both measures used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of a physical system. Moments are calculated using the raw data values, while cumulants are calculated using the logarithms of the data values. This means that moments are more sensitive to outliers and extreme values, while cumulants are more robust and resistant to extreme values.

2. Why is the log expansion method used in statistical mechanics?

The log expansion method is used in statistical mechanics because it allows for a simpler and more efficient calculation of moments and cumulants. By taking the logarithm of the data values, the moments and cumulants can be calculated using simple addition and subtraction instead of multiplication and division, which can be computationally expensive.

3. How do moments and cumulants relate to each other?

Moments and cumulants are related through a mathematical transformation called the moment-generating function. The moment-generating function is the exponential of the cumulant-generating function, and it allows for easy conversion between moments and cumulants. This means that the two measures are equivalent and can be used interchangeably in statistical calculations.

4. What is the purpose of using moments and cumulants in statistical mechanics?

The main purpose of using moments and cumulants in statistical mechanics is to describe the distribution of a physical system. By calculating these measures, we can gain insights into the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior. Moments and cumulants can also be used to compare different systems and determine their similarities and differences.

5. Can moments and cumulants be used to describe any type of distribution?

Moments and cumulants can be used to describe any type of distribution, as long as the distribution is defined by a finite number of moments. This means that moments and cumulants can be used to describe both discrete and continuous distributions, and they are widely used in various fields of science and engineering to analyze and model data.