Taking a Leave of Absence from Graduate Studies

In summary, the person is considering quitting their graduate program, but is worried about the consequences. They are also considering returning to school after a year if things don't go well.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Has anyone done this?

I've been thinking about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of people do this. Only a small fraction come back - something to keep in mind.

This may be somewhat off topic... but why are you considering this?

The reason I ask is because over the years I sort of "followed" you on these forums, ever since way back when you were struggling with Spivak. That is, you asked a lot of things I was going through at the same time. And what grad school are you at, if you don't mind.

I've done it. I was intending to quit, but fortunately, my advisor insisted that I should just ask for a leave of absence instead. After a year, I came to my senses and came back and finished.

TMFKAN64 said:
I've done it. I was intending to quit, but fortunately, my advisor insisted that I should just ask for a leave of absence instead. After a year, I came to my senses and came back and finished.

Cool, I was thinking of just taking a year too.

My supervisor will kill me too.

My buddy dropped out of his Master's just awhile ago.

It's not what I thought it would be either. My supervisor is great, but I feel like I need time off. Last year, I even told my supervisor I did not want to do my Master's yet. I wanted time off, and he insisted I do it. And now I'm here, not really enjoying it right now.

All the best to you Jason, but let me warn you: a lot can happen in a year. It's understandable that you tell yourself that you'll come back to grad school, but if you get into a serious relationship or start pursuing a career that interests you (even temporarily) you may find yourself making compromises that make it hard to jump back into grad school. I hope you stick with grad school - an advanced degree might be pretty valuable in the job market in the next 5-10 years and ongoing. Good luck whatever you decide.

turbo-1 said:
All the best to you Jason, but let me warn you: a lot can happen in a year. It's understandable that you tell yourself that you'll come back to grad school, but if you get into a serious relationship or start pursuing a career that interests you (even temporarily) you may find yourself making compromises that make it hard to jump back into grad school. I hope you stick with grad school - an advanced degree might be pretty valuable in the job market in the next 5-10 years and ongoing. Good luck whatever you decide.

Well, I'm going to talk to my supervisor about it. I do understand that lots can change, and I'm fine with that. I also know that if I don't come back in a year, I probably never will.

Lots have been going on in the term where I couldn't get work done properly. I feel like it's not going the way it should. I want the year off to take time and study basically. I just don't want to be bounded by any school related stuff. That's all. I don't care about the funding.

Related to Taking a Leave of Absence from Graduate Studies

1. What is a leave of absence from graduate studies?

A leave of absence from graduate studies is a temporary break from your graduate program, during which you are not actively enrolled in courses or conducting research. This can be for a variety of reasons, such as personal or health issues, financial difficulties, or family obligations.

2. How do I know if I am eligible for a leave of absence?

The eligibility for a leave of absence varies depending on the specific policies of your graduate program and university. However, most programs allow students to take a leave of absence if they have a valid reason and have completed a certain amount of coursework or time in the program. It is important to consult with your program advisor or graduate school office for specific requirements.

3. Will taking a leave of absence affect my progress or degree completion?

Taking a leave of absence may affect your progress and could potentially delay your degree completion. It is important to discuss your plans for a leave of absence with your program advisor to understand how it may impact your graduation timeline and what steps you can take to minimize any delays.

4. Can I work or maintain my funding during a leave of absence?

The policies regarding working or maintaining funding during a leave of absence vary among universities and graduate programs. Some may allow you to continue working in your research or teaching assistantship role, while others may require you to take a break from all responsibilities. It is important to check with your program or university for their specific policies.

5. How do I request a leave of absence?

To request a leave of absence, you will usually need to fill out a formal application and submit it to your program or graduate school office. This should include a written explanation of your reason for taking a leave and the duration of your requested absence. It is important to follow the specific procedures and deadlines set by your program or university to ensure a smooth and timely approval process.