Take GRE after or before stat mech?

In summary, the individual is an engineering physics major who is considering graduating at the end of Spring semester 2014, taking stat mech in Fall 2013, and applying for grad school in Dec/Jan/Feb. They are also considering extending their graduation to the end of Fall semester 2014 and applying then. They are wondering if it is wise to take the physics GRE in the middle of taking stat mech and without taking optics or nuclear electives. They are also considering waiting to take the GRE and apply for schools in 2014 to have more time and add electives. The individual is feeling pressure to hurry because they are already thirty years old. In terms of physics knowledge, they will be fine for the GRE, but
TomServo
I'm an engineering physics major, I believe I have a way to graduate (if I jettison some electives and take the minimum necessary to graduate) at the end of Spring semester 2014 (or maybe extend things into summer), and I take stat mech in Fall 2013. Grad school apps are due Dec/Jan/Feb, I am only interested in graduating quickly IF it means I start grad school in the Fall, my other option is to take more time, graduate at the end of Fall semester 2014 and apply then.

Is it wise to take the physics GRE in the middle of taking stat mech and without having taken an optics or nuclear elective? Is it better to wait and take the GRE and apply for schools in 2014 so I don't have to cram as many classes in my remaining terms and so I can add an elective or two? I'll admit I feel like I want to hurry because I'm already thirty. :) No, I didn't spend twelve years in college, I returned in 2010.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of physics knowledge, you'll be fine. The Physics GRE is mostly over pretty basic material, although the questions are often tricky. Now whether or not cramming these extra classes will take away from your study time is a different story, and graduating with the "minimum necessary" doesn't sound like such a good idea either. But you definitely don't need electives in optics or nuclear to do well on the GRE. They might help for a few specialized questions, but that's it.

Related to Take GRE after or before stat mech?

1. When is the best time to take the GRE if I am also studying stat mech?

The best time to take the GRE would be before you start studying stat mech. This way, you can focus all your energy and time on preparing for the GRE without any added stress or distractions from stat mech coursework.

2. Will taking the GRE after stat mech give me an advantage?

In terms of content, taking the GRE after studying stat mech may give you an advantage as some of the concepts may overlap. However, it is important to consider the timing and potential exhaustion from studying both simultaneously.

3. Can I take the GRE before completing my stat mech coursework?

Yes, you can take the GRE before completing your stat mech coursework. However, keep in mind that some questions on the GRE may require knowledge and skills from stat mech, so it is important to have a strong foundation in the subject before taking the test.

4. Is there a recommended time gap between taking the GRE and stat mech?

There is no specific recommended time gap between taking the GRE and studying stat mech. It ultimately depends on your personal schedule and study habits. However, it is important to give yourself enough time to adequately prepare for both.

5. How can I balance studying for the GRE and stat mech at the same time?

To balance studying for the GRE and stat mech, it is important to create a schedule and prioritize your time effectively. It may also be helpful to study for the GRE during breaks or downtime from stat mech coursework. Additionally, seeking support from a tutor or study group can also help in balancing the workload.