Take a Break from University: Pros & Cons

In summary, the speaker is currently in their third year of university studying mathematics and is considering graduate school. They are worried about their GPA and lack of research experience. They are also considering taking a break from school to improve their academic performance. They are wondering if this will hurt their chances for grad school and if it will be difficult to return to school after a break. They are also considering working as a research assistant during their break. The speaker has heard positive experiences from others who have taken a break from school and is considering options for finding work at their current university.
JohnDuck
I'm currently finishing up my third year of university, set to graduate in a year or year and a half with a B.S. in mathematics. I'd like to go on to graduate school, but I'm beginning to have serious reservations. Mostly I'm concerned that I will not be able to get into grad school; my GPA is only about 3.0 (the mitigating factor is that I've scored quite well on standardized tests in the past, and I'll probably do very well on the GRE). I've got no research experience, which seems to be almost a necessity. I've really been shooting myself in the foot these last three years--I know I can do better than I have, but I've simply been too irresponsible or unmotivated. I feel like even if I do go on to grad school, with this mindset, I'm only going to dig myself into an even deeper hole.

So I've been thinking I'd like to take a break from school and get my act together. Would this hurt my chances for grad school even more? I've also heard people say it's really hard to get back to school when you've stopped for a while. Any relevant experiences with that? I've even been considering taking a break as soon as next semester. Would it be better to finish up my undergrad (probably at the same mediocre level of achievement I'm at now), then take a break? Or break now and, ideally, come back with one really good year of undergrad work to show that I'm now motivated and ready to work hard?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're concerned about keeping up momentum in your studies it might be worth considering taking a year to work as an RA after you finish your BSc and while you're applying to graduate programs. Is there anyone at your current school who you think you might be useful to? It might be useful to approach some of your current professors and see if they can suggest a potential supervisor who might share your interests.

I don't think I've met anyone who took time off from school who felt the experience wasn't worthwhile... I took a year off between my MSc and PhD and I know a professor who took a year off between his BSc and PhD.

It's possible I might find some work at my home uni. I think most of the RA and TA positions are reserved for grad students, which would seem to defeat the purpose of my break. It's something which bears further investigation though.

Related to Take a Break from University: Pros & Cons

1. What are the potential benefits of taking a break from university?

Some potential benefits of taking a break from university include giving yourself time to explore other interests or opportunities, reducing stress and burnout, and gaining perspective on your academic goals and priorities.

2. Are there any potential drawbacks to taking a break from university?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to taking a break from university. These may include falling behind in your studies, losing momentum or motivation, and potentially experiencing financial strain if you are not able to work during your break.

3. How long should a break from university typically be?

The length of a break from university can vary depending on individual circumstances and goals. Some may take a semester off, while others may take a full year. It's important to carefully consider your reasons for taking a break and discuss the length of your break with academic advisors or counselors.

4. Will taking a break from university affect my academic progress or graduation timeline?

It's important to carefully plan and communicate with academic advisors and professors to ensure that your break from university will not significantly impact your academic progress or graduation timeline. In some cases, taking a break may require you to make up missed credits or extend your time in university.

5. Can I still participate in university activities and resources during my break?

This will depend on the policies and guidelines of your specific university. Some may allow students on a break to continue to access resources and participate in activities, while others may restrict these privileges. It's important to clarify these details with your university before taking a break.