Switching to astrophysics after photonics PhD (complications)

In summary, the speaker is nearing the end of their PhD in photonics and is considering a career shift to a more practical field within the space sciences. They have been successful in their current field, but have realized a passion for space sciences after teaching cosmology. They are unsure of their qualifications for a more applied role, but are willing to relocate for job opportunities. They also have the opportunity to continue their current research for an additional 6 months, but are unsure if it will help their transition. They are seeking advice on how to best make the transition and how to showcase their skills and qualifications to potential employers. They are also considering staying with their girlfriend for an extra year, but are unsure if it will affect their job prospects. They
latefogle
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm coming to the end of a PhD in photonics in about 6 months, specifically I have been looking at plasmonic nanostructures. It's gone ok, I'm at a great university and have two 1st author papers in ok journals with hopefully a third before I finish. My supervisor is happy with me. However I do not wish to stay in this field, and after teaching cosmology at a summer school, I remembered that it was the space stuff that got me interested in science in the first place and I was wondering how I have drifted so far away from it. Additionally I have been working mostly solo for this project and would like to part of more of a group effort.

Basically I would like to transfer to a practical field within the space sciences. The things I have been best at in my PhD have been coming up with novel ideas and developing microscope setups to investigate these. I prefer the applied science much more than the fundamental and so I think instrument or componet development would be great. However, developing structures on the nanoscale does not necessarily apply to large scale, working devices and I am not sure I have the necessary skillset for a more applied role. I only have a (very) limited knowledge of Matlab and Labview (I do not consider myself a programmer) and my innovations, whilst useful, have mostly been quite low-tech.

The complication is that my girlfriend, who I am quite fond of, needs to stay an extra year to finish a qualification, so I am left with about 9 months time with nothing to do. I have the chance to build on research in my PhD and apply for an additional grant for 6 months to continue this, which would be interesting but I wonder if it would help my transition to another field.

I am wondering how best to go about this transition. I am happy to relocate outside the UK (I have US citizenship too ), and in fact would prefer to move somewhere interesting for a few years. Should I try and go immediately and get my girlfriend to follow after a year? If I got this extra funding award (it's a mini-postdoc basically) would this make me look better (as I won the award), or would it make me seem too locked into my current research? Should I just get a bar job and learn labview for 9 months? How can I convince someone in instrumentation development that I will be worth employing? Is there a realistic way I can re-train?

Thanks for any input everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
My feeling is that its better to stay do the work because you have the funding and enjoy being with your girlfriend. I don't think 6 to 9 months is going to make any real difference. Also by staying to do this it looks better on your job resume as it shows you can get the research done.

As far as switch to Astrophysics, I can't say. Is there some way to transition to Astrophysics by leveraging your Photonics work like could you design or improve on telescope technology (quantum optical telescope?) somehow or use that to get into experimental Astrophysics?

Related to Switching to astrophysics after photonics PhD (complications)

1. Can I switch to astrophysics after completing a PhD in photonics?

Yes, it is possible to switch to astrophysics after completing a PhD in photonics. Both fields involve studying light and its interactions with matter, so there are transferable skills and knowledge. However, it may require additional coursework or research experience to make the transition.

2. Will I need to take additional courses to switch to astrophysics?

It depends on your previous coursework and research experience. Some universities may require you to take a few courses in astrophysics to gain a foundation in the field. However, if you have a strong background in physics and mathematics, you may be able to switch without taking additional courses.

3. Are there any complications in switching to astrophysics after a photonics PhD?

There may be some challenges in switching to astrophysics after a photonics PhD, such as having to learn new terminology and concepts. You may also need to adapt to a different research environment and work with different equipment. However, these challenges can be overcome with dedication and hard work.

4. Can I still pursue a career in photonics after switching to astrophysics?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in photonics after switching to astrophysics. Your PhD in photonics will still be valuable and may give you a unique perspective in your research. You can also apply your knowledge and skills in photonics to various areas in astrophysics, such as developing new imaging techniques for telescopes.

5. Are there any advantages to switching to astrophysics after a photonics PhD?

Yes, there are potential advantages to switching to astrophysics after a photonics PhD. You may be able to work on cutting-edge research projects and contribute to a rapidly advancing field. You may also have opportunities to collaborate with scientists from different disciplines and expand your knowledge and skills.