Switching fields in grad school

In summary, the individual is considering switching from pursuing a career as a research mathematician to computer science, but does not want to start their undergraduate degree over. They are wondering if it is possible to get into grad school in computer science with a background in math and a few introductory computer science courses. The response is that it is possible, but they may want to take an algorithms and data structures course before graduating to have a stronger background in theoretical computer science.
Dragonfall
I'm about to get an undergraduate degree in math, and I'm having second thoughts about pursuing a career as a research mathematician. I may want to switch to comp sci, but I don't want to start my undergrad over. Is it possible to get into grad school in comp sci with a background in math, but almost none in comp sci (except a few java classes and a logic and computability class)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Yes. You may want to take an algorithms and data structures course before you graduate, but as it is you probably have sufficient background for most areas of theoretical computer science (theory of computation, artificial intelligence, etc.).

Related to Switching fields in grad school

1. What factors should I consider when switching fields in grad school?

When considering switching fields in grad school, you should think about your interests, skills, and long-term career goals. You should also research the job market and potential job opportunities in the new field, as well as the availability of funding and resources for your research.

2. Will switching fields affect my graduation timeline?

It is possible that switching fields in grad school may affect your graduation timeline. You may need to take additional courses or complete a different set of requirements in the new field. However, your previous coursework and experience may also transfer over, so it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances.

3. How do I make the transition to a new field in grad school?

The best way to make a smooth transition to a new field in grad school is to reach out to faculty members and students in the new department. Network with them to learn more about the field and potential research opportunities. You should also take advantage of any resources or workshops offered by your school to help you navigate the transition.

4. Will I need to start my research from scratch in the new field?

It is unlikely that you will need to start your research from scratch when switching fields in grad school. You may need to make some adjustments and modifications to your research topic, but your previous research experience and skills will still be valuable. Your advisor and peers in the new field can also provide guidance and support during this process.

5. How will switching fields affect my future job prospects?

Switching fields in grad school may open up new job opportunities in the new field, but it may also limit your options in your previous field. It is important to carefully consider your long-term career goals and how switching fields may affect them. You may also need to explain your decision to switch fields in your job interviews and highlight the transferable skills and knowledge you have gained through the process.