Suspended Block: Find Tensions T1 & T2

• Thread starter Dan350
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, a 17kg block is suspended by three ropes, with two ropes attached to the ceiling at a 41° angle with the horizontal. The tension T2 in the vertical rope and the tension T1 in the ropes attached to the ceiling are being calculated using the equations F=ma, Fx=T2cosθ2-T1cosθ1=0, and Fy=T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2+T3=mg. The goal is to solve for T2 by rewriting it in terms of T1 in the Fx equation and substituting it into the Fy equation. However, the Fy equation cannot be correct as it includes both T1 and T2 as well as the
Dan350
1. A block of mas M=17kg is suspended by three ropes as shown in the figure. The two ropes attached to the ceiling each make an angle of 41° with the horizontal

a)What is the tension T2 in the vertical rope?
b)What is the tension 1 in the ropes attached to the ceiling?

Homework Equations

F=ma3.
I made up these formulas:
Fx=T2cosθ2-T1cosθ1=0
Fy=T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2+T3=mg or Fy=T1sinθ1+T2sinθ2+T3-mg= 0

My idea is to rewrite T2 in terms of T1 in the Fx ecuation so then i would substitue to get the value of T2
I had made a similar problem like this, and using this procedure. but the difference is that Tension 3, how does it affect the problem? it does no affect the Fx forces,, but it does for the Fy, right?
With this i would get T2

Would you explain to me?
THanks!

The image is above

Attachments

• Tensions.png
    Tensions.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Please make that angle 41,, the one of the image is 44 thanks

The Fy equation cannot be correct. If it has T1 & T2, it cannot have mg, because mg applies to the block, and the only other force acting on the block is T3.

Related to Suspended Block: Find Tensions T1 & T2

What is a Suspended Block?

A suspended block is a system in which a block of mass is suspended by two ropes or cables, with tensions T1 and T2 acting on the block.

How do you find tensions T1 and T2 in a Suspended Block?

The tensions T1 and T2 can be found using the equations ΣFy = 0 and ΣFx = 0, where ΣFy represents the sum of the forces in the vertical direction and ΣFx represents the sum of the forces in the horizontal direction.

What factors affect the tensions T1 and T2 in a Suspended Block?

The tensions T1 and T2 are affected by the weight of the block, the angles of the ropes or cables, and any external forces acting on the block.

How do you calculate the weight of a Suspended Block?

The weight of a suspended block can be calculated using the formula W = m x g, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Can the tensions T1 and T2 ever be equal in a Suspended Block?

Yes, the tensions T1 and T2 can be equal in a suspended block if the angles of the ropes or cables are equal and there are no external forces acting on the block.