Find Acceleration & Tension in a System with Two Blocks and a Connecting Cord

• Thread starter sunnnystrong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves determining the acceleration of the system and the tension in the connecting cord given the masses of two blocks, the coefficient of friction, and a frictionless pulley. The tension in the cord is found to be the same at all points due to the nature of a frictionless pulley. The equations used to solve for the acceleration and tensions are based on the sum of forces equation, with the masses and acceleration being specific to each block. After solving for the acceleration, the tensions for each block are found to be equal.
sunnnystrong

Homework Statement

Determine the acceleration of the system and the tension in the connecting cord.

Mass 1 = 2.8kg
T1 = ?
Mass 2 = 1.2kg
T2 = ?
mu = .2

*My picture is kinda bad but you can see how its set up*

Homework Equations

∑F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD for Block A -->
∑Fx = m*a

T1 - ƒ = m*a
T1 = m*g*mu + m*a

For Block B -->
Down = positive
T2 = mg - ma My question is... are the two tensions equal? Would I just set these two equations equal to each other & solve for a and than solve for T?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that there is light, frictionless pulley where the cord makes a right angle turn then yes, the tension will be the same everywhere in the cord.

Likes sunnnystrong
gneill said:
Assuming that there is light, frictionless pulley where the cord makes a right angle turn then yes, the tension will be the same everywhere in the cord.

So I guess m cancels?
For a I got :
a = 1/2(g-mu*g)
a = 3.92 m/s/s

Than: For block 2 (mass = 1.2kg)
T2 = mg - ma
T2 = 7.056 N

For block 1 (mass = 2.8kg)
T1 = m*g*mu + m*a
T1 = 16.464 N

So what tension is it?

sunnnystrong said:
So I guess m cancels?
For a I got :
a = 1/2(g-mu*g)
Can you explain where this equation came from?

And if it is a frictionless pulley, then T1 and T2 should be equal, true?

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
Can you explain where this equation came from?

And if it is a frictionless pulley, then T1 and T2 should be equal, true?
T1 = m*g*mu + m*a
T2 = mg - ma
m*g*mu + m*a = mg - ma
g*mu + a = g - a
2a = g - g*mu
a = (1/2)(g - g*mu)

I'm kinda confused?

You can't cancel out the masses because they aren't all the same. Some are m1 and some are m2.

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
You can't cancel out the masses because they aren't all the same. Some are m1 and some are m2.
Oh wow hahahah thank you
XD

Likes TomHart

What is a tension problem?

A tension problem refers to a situation in which there is a force acting on an object that causes it to stretch or compress. This force is known as tension and is often measured in units of Newtons (N). Tension problems are commonly encountered in physics and engineering.

How do you calculate tension?

To calculate tension, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the force is acting. The formula for tension is T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the force is acting.

What factors affect tension?

There are several factors that can affect tension, including the magnitude and direction of the force, the mass of the object, and the angle at which the force is acting. Additionally, the presence of friction or other forces can also affect tension.

How do you solve a tension problem?

Solving a tension problem involves identifying all the known variables, such as the mass, force, and angle, and plugging them into the appropriate formula. It is important to pay attention to units and ensure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Finally, double-check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

Why are tension problems important?

Tension problems are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics, where tension plays a critical role in the design and functionality of structures and machines.