Superheroes & Electromagnetic Spectrum?

In summary, a superhero could control and travel through different types of electromagnetic signals, as well as read minds and body signals.
ThatNickGuy
For years, I've been tinkering away at an idea for a superhero. Without going into too much detail, I thought it'd be cool if he could tap into, control, and even travel through a number of different types of signals: radio signals, satellite signals, wi-fi, etc. Using brain waves, as well, I thought he could also read minds, as well read body signals (becoming a supremely talented marital artist).

The problem is that, as I mentioned in my https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/published-author-scientific-idiot.806837/, I'm something of an idiot when it comes to science. I have the mind of a typewriter monkey, not a lab jockey (I meant that in jest, please don't take offence). And the concept of the electromagnetic spectrum and anything involving radio waves or any sort of communication flies right over my head. Some pun intended.

Would anyone be able to recommend some good source material that would help explain some of these concepts to me? Preferably something relatively dumbed down, that doesn't rely too much on mathematical formulas, since that stuff just confuses me. The sources could be books I can order, documentaries, TED talks, etc.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "travel through"?

Controlling electromagnetic waves is easy - you can receive and emit them with antennas, lights, eyes, cameras and other devices - it is not hard to assume a superhero can do that without external tools.

How about an introduction to Maxwell's equations? You can find plenty of material for it online, all you need is high school physics. Just skip the numerical and algebraic formalizations and concentrate on the qualitative descriptions.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "travel through"?.

The best example - and one I can't seem to find a video of - is the electric gremlin from Gremlins 2. He was able to travel through anything electrical because he was made of electricity. In one scene, he tried to travel through a phone...and was put on hold. So, something like that? Being able to physically transform himself into whatever form he needed in order to travel through phone lines, radio signals, satellite feeds, etc.

Likes Dotini
ThatNickGuy said:
Would anyone be able to recommend some good source material that would help explain some of these concepts to me? Preferably something relatively dumbed down, that doesn't rely too much on mathematical formulas, since that stuff just confuses me. The sources could be books I can order, documentaries, TED talks, etc.

ThatNickGuy said:
The best example - and one I can't seem to find a video of - is the electric gremlin from Gremlins 2. He was able to travel through anything electrical because he was made of electricity. In one scene, he tried to travel through a phone...and was put on hold. So, something like that? Being able to physically transform himself into whatever form he needed in order to travel through phone lines, radio signals, satellite feeds, etc.
The concept of an electromagnetic superhero - or villain - is an old one with a literary provenance from the realms of physics, religion, sci-fi and UFOlogy.

Our own PF thread on inorganic lifeforms of plasma:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...im-but-not-as-we-know-it.180520/#post-4022527

From the Koran and other Islamic literature come the stories of Djinn (genies), non-human beings with an independent will, made of smokeless flame (plasma) coming from caves and caverns to aid, or more usually, play tricks on mankind.

Authors John Keel, Gregory Little and Andrew Collins have written extensively about beings, whether ultraterrestrial or extraterrestrial, dwelling in and occasionally emerging from the electromagnetic spectrum. This is said to be the source of UFOs and aliens.

The celebrated astronomer/physicist, Freddy Hoyle, wrote a rather good sci-fi novel about an electromagnetic superhero, The Black Cloud.

Last edited:
Likes chasrob
ThatNickGuy said:
Could even take that a step further and have a super hero who is digital, I'm thinking of something like a macho version of the character 'Data', from Star Trek.

Related to Superheroes & Electromagnetic Spectrum?

1. What is the connection between superheroes and the electromagnetic spectrum?

Superheroes often have powers that involve manipulating or harnessing electromagnetic energy, such as telekinesis, lightning generation, or energy projection. The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of energy that includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, and more. It is believed that these powers are based on the concept of manipulating the energies within this spectrum.

2. How do superheroes gain their powers through the electromagnetic spectrum?

In most cases, superheroes gain their powers through exposure to some form of radiation or energy. This can include cosmic rays, gamma rays, or even a lightning strike. These sources of energy can alter the genetic makeup of a person, giving them special abilities based on their exposure to the electromagnetic spectrum.

3. Can real-life technology harness the electromagnetic spectrum like superheroes do?

While current technology does not allow for the same level of control and manipulation of the electromagnetic spectrum as seen in superheroes, there are some real-life applications that harness this energy. For example, radio and television signals use radio waves, and medical imaging uses X-rays. However, the abilities of superheroes are often exaggerated for entertainment purposes.

4. Are there any real-life examples of people with superhero-like abilities through the electromagnetic spectrum?

There have been some documented cases of people exhibiting abilities that seem to defy the laws of physics, such as being able to stick objects to their skin or withstand extreme temperatures. However, these cases are rare and often have underlying scientific explanations. There is no evidence to suggest that anyone has superhuman abilities solely through the electromagnetic spectrum.

5. Can the electromagnetic spectrum be harmful to humans?

Yes, certain forms of electromagnetic radiation can be harmful to humans, such as ultraviolet rays, X-rays, and gamma rays. However, our bodies have natural defenses against these types of radiation, and exposure to small amounts is typically not harmful. It is only when there is prolonged and extensive exposure to high levels of radiation that it can cause health issues. This is why superheroes who are exposed to large doses of radiation often develop their powers, but it is not recommended for real-life individuals to seek out exposure to radiation for this purpose.