Summer Schools [PITP, TASI, SSI etc] still taking people?

In summary, the speaker is planning to take their second senior lab class during the summer and is confident they can complete the necessary labs in half the semester. They will also be attending the APS meeting and speaking with their professor about summer schools for grad school ideas. They have already missed deadlines for some summer schools, but are interested in a broad range of astrophysics and high energy theory. The speaker's advisor recommended CTEQ's but they are not excited about it and have applied for CGWAS. They are also considering TASI, but it may be too advanced for them at this time. The speaker is looking for suggestions and thoughts on summer schools, but the schools they are interested in are typically for advanced graduate students and recent post
Elwin.Martin
So this summer, I believe I'll be taking my second senior lab class and I am pretty sure I can work out completing all the necessary labs in about half the semester [I did the labs traditionally assigned for the second semester in my first since I was the odd one out for lab partners]. I'll be speaking with the professor for the summer when I get back from the APS meeting this week.

My research adviser is cool with me going to some summer schools, and I think I can get a little bit of the travel support for this [but probably not all of what I'd need]. I was wondering what summer schools I should have on my radar as interesting schools that might give me some more meaningful ideas on where to apply for grad school, outside of "spamming" the "top ten".

I attended SSI last year while working at SLAC and it was AWESOME...but they don't provide any student support...and it's two weeks long. Plus, Palo Alto is too expensive. I missed deadlines for TASI and PITP...so those are out. In general, I'm interested in a broad range of astrophysics and high energy theory, and phenomena where their intersection is particularly relevant.

I've had a course in GR from Carroll and two semesters of QFT, so I can follow quite a bit...but I am not foolish enough to go to the European schools intended for "Grad students and post-docs" just yet. [If you know any especially cool European schools that are less intense and have later deadlines, I may look into alternative funding sources but I'd need the extra deadline time to properly investigate my funding sources]

I'll mention that my adviser recommended CTEQ's but I'm not super excited by what they have planned. I have applied for CGWAS and I'm super excited for the opportunity to attend, if they like my application, but I would like to see something HEP related this summer. Is it worth seeing if TASI has space still?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The schools are for advanced graduate students and recent postdocs, not undergrads. SSI is very loose about letting people attend lectures, since they are in the enormous Kavli auditorium, but most of the others are constrained by space. If they were to an accept an undergrad, that means they would have to reject a graduate student. It is better to take the grad student now, and the undergrad in a couple years: if the undergrad is prepared (as unlikely as it is), he'll be at least as prepared a couple years down the road.

Under no circumstances should a summer school for grad students be providing support for undergraduates. The budgets are extremely tight, usually only partial support (if that) is provided, and supporting a First World undergrad at the expense of a grad student from a developing country is unconscionable. Often faculty eschew full support in order to make room for one last grad student - to find that money was spent on a First World undergrad would provoke a revolt.

In addition, your idea that summer schools in the US are easier than the ones in Europe is simply false. I've taught in both places, including at schools that alternate continents, and do not believe this is the case.

Finally, don't despair: TASI is really not for undergrads. You should pretty much be able to get the sign of the beta function in QCD and to work out the Higgs mechanism on a napkin (one on each side) before you're ready for TASI. But it will still be around in 3 or 4 years.

Related to Summer Schools [PITP, TASI, SSI etc] still taking people?

What are the eligibility requirements for summer schools like PITP, TASI, and SSI?

The eligibility requirements for these summer schools vary depending on the specific program. Generally, applicants should have a strong background in physics, mathematics, or a related field. Some programs may also require certain coursework or prior research experience. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for each program before applying.

How can I apply for summer schools like PITP, TASI, and SSI?

The application process for these summer schools also varies. Some programs may require an online application, while others may require a paper application. In addition, most programs will require letters of recommendation, transcripts, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and submit all required materials before the deadline.

What topics are typically covered in summer schools like PITP, TASI, and SSI?

The topics covered in these summer schools also vary, but they generally focus on advanced topics in physics and related fields such as mathematics, astrophysics, or particle physics. Some programs may have a specific theme or focus, while others will cover a broad range of topics. It is important to review the program curriculum to determine if it aligns with your interests and goals.

What is the cost of attending summer schools like PITP, TASI, and SSI?

The cost of attending these summer schools can also vary. Some programs may have a registration fee, while others may cover all expenses including travel, accommodation, and meals. In some cases, financial aid or scholarships may be available to help cover the costs. It is important to research the program's fees and funding options before applying.

What are the benefits of attending summer schools like PITP, TASI, and SSI?

Attending these summer schools can provide many benefits, including the opportunity to learn from leading experts in a specific field of physics, network with other scientists and researchers, and gain hands-on experience through workshops and labs. Additionally, these programs can help strengthen one's graduate school or job applications and enhance their overall understanding of physics and related fields.