Summer research spot without REU at a school with REUs

In summary, the individual is looking for an undergraduate research spot at UC Davis during the summer, but believes they missed the deadline for summer REU applications. They are wondering if they can still secure a spot by emailing professors, and mention they are a second year physics major at UC Santa Barbara. However, someone mentions that it may be difficult for them to secure a spot since they are not a Davis student and that their physics department at UCSB is highly ranked.
Andrew774
I want to find an undergrad research spot at UC Davis over the summer since I'll be in the area; however, I believe I've missed the deadline for summer REU applications. Seeing as Davis gets an influx of undergrad researchers from their REU program, do I have any chance in scoring a spot by just emailing professors? Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a Davis student?

Sorry I should have mentioned that; No I am a UC Santa Barbara 2nd year physics major

Then it's going to be hard. Whoever hires you is going to be asked "Why didn't you hire a David undergrad?"

Why don't you just stay at UCSB? UCSB is a fantastic physics department ranked in the top ten.

Related to Summer research spot without REU at a school with REUs

What is summer research and why is it important?

Summer research is a program that allows undergraduate students to engage in hands-on research projects in their field of study during the summer months. It is important because it provides students with valuable experience, develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and can enhance their academic and career opportunities.

What is an REU and why is it typically associated with summer research?

REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates and it is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides research opportunities for undergraduate students. It is typically associated with summer research because it is specifically designed for students to engage in research during the summer break.

Is it possible to participate in summer research without an REU at a school that offers REUs?

Yes, it is possible to participate in summer research without an REU at a school that offers REUs. Many universities have their own summer research programs that are not funded by the NSF but still provide opportunities for students to engage in research projects. Additionally, students can also seek out research opportunities through individual faculty members or external organizations.

What are the benefits of participating in summer research without an REU at a school with REUs?

Participating in summer research without an REU at a school with REUs can still provide students with valuable experience, networking opportunities, and potential for publications or presentations. It also allows students to gain research experience in a specific area of interest and potentially work closely with a faculty mentor.

How can I find summer research opportunities without an REU at a school with REUs?

To find summer research opportunities without an REU at a school with REUs, students can reach out to individual faculty members in their department of interest and inquire about research opportunities. They can also search for external organizations or programs that offer summer research opportunities in their field of study. Additionally, universities often have a database or website listing available research opportunities for students.