Summer internship for Non-US citizens

In summary, the individual is a second year physics major looking for an internship or research experience for the summer of 2008. However, most REU programs are only available to US citizens or permanent residents, which the individual is not. They are aware of the importance of research experience for graduate program acceptance and are seeking other options, such as working for a professor at their school or finding positions available for international students. The individual may need to apply for optional practical training or obtain a J-1 visa through their school's International Students Office in order to work for a professor. They should aim to secure an offer by January to ensure all necessary paperwork is completed in time.
Meursault
Hello,
I am a second year physics major.
I am looking for an internship or research experience for summer 2008.
However, all the REU programs I looked at are only available to either US-citizen or Permanent resident. I am an international student and do not have a green card.
I know research experience is crucial for acceptance into a graduate program, and I would
like to do something educational over the summer.
Besides trying to work for a professor at my school, are there positions available for international students? (REU, research program for undergraduates, etc...)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most REUs are funded by the NSF, so you're not eligible for them if you're an international student.

You can try emailing professors to see if they'd be willing to hire you and pay you with their own research funds.

With regards to immigration, I believe one of these options should apply to you:
If you are currently in the U.S. under F-1, then you will have to apply for optional practical training (OPT), so make sure you get an offer by January or the paperwork may not get finished before summer starts.

If you are currently outside the U.S., then ask the International Students Office if they are willing to issue J-1 visas for undergraduates. Some schools do, some schools require you to have a bachelor's degree before they will issue you a DS-2019 (Petition for a J-1) form. Then you should be able to work for that professor. You should also try to get an offer by January or the paperwork may not get finished before summer starts

Last edited:

I completely understand your desire to gain research experience during your summer break. Unfortunately, many REU programs and research positions are limited to US citizens or permanent residents due to funding and legal restrictions. However, there are still options available for international students like yourself.

Firstly, I suggest reaching out to professors at your school or other universities to inquire about potential research opportunities. Many professors are open to working with international students and may have projects or funding available for summer research.

Additionally, you can look into international research programs specifically designed for undergraduate students. These programs may have less strict citizenship requirements and can provide valuable research experience in a different country.

Another option is to look into virtual research opportunities. With the current pandemic, many research projects have shifted to online platforms, allowing for international students to participate remotely.

Lastly, I recommend exploring other educational opportunities such as online courses or workshops related to your field of interest. These can also enhance your skills and knowledge, and can be a valuable addition to your resume when applying for graduate programs.

Overall, while the options may be more limited for international students, there are still opportunities available for gaining research experience during the summer. Keep an open mind and be proactive in your search, and I am confident you will find a valuable and educational experience. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Related to Summer internship for Non-US citizens

What is a summer internship for non-US citizens?

A summer internship for non-US citizens is an opportunity for individuals who are not citizens of the United States to gain work experience and professional development during the summer months. It allows non-US citizens to participate in internships in the US, gaining valuable skills and knowledge while contributing to the host organization.

Who is eligible for a summer internship for non-US citizens?

Eligibility for a summer internship for non-US citizens varies depending on the specific program or organization offering the internship. Generally, non-US citizens must have a valid visa that allows them to work in the US, such as an F-1 or J-1 student visa. They may also need to meet certain academic and/or language requirements.

How can I find a summer internship for non-US citizens?

There are several ways to find a summer internship for non-US citizens. You can start by researching organizations or programs that offer internships for non-US citizens, such as international companies, government agencies, or cultural exchange programs. You can also reach out to your school's career center or network with other students who may have participated in a similar internship.

What are the benefits of a summer internship for non-US citizens?

A summer internship for non-US citizens can provide numerous benefits, including gaining valuable work experience, developing professional skills, building a network of contacts, and experiencing a new culture. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.

Are non-US citizens paid for summer internships?

Compensation for summer internships for non-US citizens varies depending on the organization and the type of internship. Some internships may be paid, while others may offer a stipend or cover expenses such as housing and transportation. It's important to research the specific internship to understand the compensation and benefits offered.