Studying? (average value, work)

In summary: The work required to pull a cable to the top of a tall building can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where m is the mass of the cable, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the building.c.)To find the hydrostatic force against a semicircular gate, we can use the formula F = \rho g h A, where \rho is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the water, and A is the area of the gate.d.)The volume of a solid generated by revolving a region around the y-axis can be calculated using the formula V = \pi \int_a^b
thename1000
I'm studying for a test and it would be great if i could get step by step how to do this problem:

a.) Find the average value of the function on the interval x=1 to x=10 for f(x)=3/(1+x)^2

b.) A uniform cable hanging over the edge of a tall building is 40 ft long and weighs 50 lb. How much work is required to pull the cable to the top?

c.) A vertical dam has a semicircular gate as shown in the figure below(http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg), The density of water is 9800 Newtons per cubic meter. Find the hydrostatic force against the gate.

d.) Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the y-axis the region bounded by the x-axis and y=3x-x^3 from x=0 to x=5 (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg)

e.) For the lamina of density P formed by the region bounded by y=3sqrt(x) {NOT 3 times sqrt x} and the x-axis from x=0 to x=8, find the y coordinate of the centroid. (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg)

I don't need the final answers, but enough so that I can follow what your doing. (If you only know how to do one of these that'd be fine!) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
a.)
The average value of a function between intervals [tex][a,b][/tex] is defined as:
[tex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b f(x)\,dx [/tex]

and just in case:
[tex]\int kx^n\,{\rm d}x = k\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + C[/tex] and
[tex]\frac{3}{(x+1)^2} = 3(x+1)^{-2}[/tex].

a.) To find the average value of a function on an interval, we use the formula: (1/(b-a)) * integral from a to b of f(x) dx. In this case, a=1, b=10, and f(x)=3/(1+x)^2. So, the average value would be: (1/(10-1)) * integral from 1 to 10 of (3/(1+x)^2) dx = (1/9) * (-(1/1+x)) from 1 to 10 = (1/9) * (-(1/11) + (1/2)) = 0.055.

b.) To find the work required, we use the formula: W = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. In this case, m=50 lb, g=32 ft/s^2, and h=40 ft. So, the work required would be: (50)(32)(40) = 64,000 ft-lb.

c.) To find the hydrostatic force, we use the formula: F = (density)(gravity)(volume). In this case, the density is given as 9800 Newtons per cubic meter, and the volume would be half of a cylinder. So, the volume would be: (1/2)(pi)(radius)^2(height), where the radius is 4 meters and the height is 8 meters. Substituting these values into the formula, we get: F = (9800)(9.8)(1/2)(pi)(4)^2(8) = 2,457,600 Newtons.

d.) To find the volume of the solid generated, we use the formula: V = pi * integral from a to b of (f(x))^2 dx. In this case, a=0, b=5, and f(x)=3x-x^3. So, the volume would be: pi * integral from 0 to 5 of ((3x-x^3)^2) dx = pi * integral from 0 to 5 of (9x^2 - 6x^4 + x^6) dx = pi * (3x^3 - (6/5)x^5 + (1/7)x^7) from 0 to 5 = pi * (375/

Related to Studying? (average value, work)

1. What is the average amount of time that should be spent studying?

The average time spent studying varies depending on the individual's learning style, the difficulty of the subject, and personal commitments. However, it is generally recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every 1 hour of class time.

2. How can I make my studying more effective?

There are several strategies that can help make studying more effective, such as creating a study schedule, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, using active learning techniques like practice problems or flashcards, and finding a quiet and comfortable study space.

3. Is it better to study alone or with a group?

The answer to this question depends on the individual's learning style. Some people prefer studying alone, while others find it more beneficial to study in a group where they can discuss and clarify concepts with others. It is also helpful to try both methods and see which works best for you.

4. How can I balance studying with work and other commitments?

It can be challenging to balance studying with work and other commitments, but effective time management is key. Creating a schedule and prioritizing tasks can help ensure that you have enough time for studying while still fulfilling other obligations.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject?

If you are struggling with a particular subject, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification, attend tutoring sessions, or form study groups with classmates who may be able to offer assistance. It is also crucial to identify any gaps in your understanding and address them before moving on to more advanced material.