Limit Definitions and Extreme Value Theorem Help Needed

In summary, a limit definition is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. The Extreme Value Theorem states that a continuous function on a closed interval must have both a maximum and a minimum value, making it useful in many areas of science and engineering. Some common mistakes when using limit definitions and the Extreme Value Theorem include confusing continuity with differentiability and not considering the possibility of multiple maxima or minima within an interval. It is also important to ensure that the function is continuous on the entire interval and not just at the endpoints.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_10.jpg

For 1a, I just took \lim_{{h}\to{0}} of the function using
[ f(x+h)-f(x) / h ]
and simplified.

Ultimately, this gave me -8/(2√(1-8x)) which equals:

f(x) = -4/(√1-8x)
As for 1b, I just used the slope form of the function and substituted 1a's answer into the function to get:

y-3 = [-4/(√1-8x)] * (x+1)

As for 2a, I used the intermediate value theorem, stating that if f is continuous on [a,b] then N is any number between f(b) and f(a_ and thus f(c) = N exists.

To prove this f -> infinity as x-> 0+
and f -> infinity as x-> infinity proves that one real root must exist by the IVT. Is this right? I'm somewhat doubtful of my solution.

As for 2b, I just found the intercepting points to be [1.34,1.35] Did I estimate this properly? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:For 1a, I just took \lim_{{h}\to{0}} of the function using
[ f(x+h)-f(x) / h ]
and simplified.

Ultimately, this gave me -8/(2√(1-8x)) which equals:

f(x) = -4/(√1-8x)
As for 1b, I just used the slope form of the function and substituted 1a's answer into the function to get:

y-3 = [-4/(√1-8x)] * (x+1)

As for 2a, I used the intermediate value theorem, stating that if f is continuous on [a,b] then N is any number between f(b) and f(a_ and thus f(c) = N exists.

To prove this f -> infinity as x-> 0+
and f -> infinity as x-> infinity proves that one real root must exist by the IVT. Is this right? I'm somewhat doubtful of my solution.

As for 2b, I just found the intercepting points to be [1.34,1.35] Did I estimate this properly? Thanks in advance.

1a. The derivative is correct!

1b. The formula of the equation of the tangent line to $f$ at $x=x_0$ is
$$y-f(x_0)=f'(x_0)(x-x_0)$$2a. To use the intermediate value theorem you have to find a closed interval $[a,b]$. The interval that you used is not closed.

Using the interval that you chose, you could do the following:
$f=\ln{x}+2x-3$
The domain of $f$ is $(0, +\infty)$.
$f$ is increasing on this interval.
So the range of the function is $\displaystyle{R= \left ( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x), \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} f(x) \right )=(-\infty, +\infty)=\mathbb{R}}$

So, since $0 \in R$, the function has at least one root.To use the intermediate value theorem, you could use the interval $[1,2]$.

2b. It is correct!

mathmari said:
1a. The derivative is correct!

1b. The formula of the equation of the tangent line to $f$ at $x=x_0$ is
$$y-f(x_0)=f'(x_0)(x-x_0)$$2a. To use the intermediate value theorem you have to find a closed interval $[a,b]$. The interval that you used is not closed.

Using the interval that you chose, you could do the following:
$f=\ln{x}+2x-3$
The domain of $f$ is $(0, +\infty)$.
$f$ is increasing on this interval.
So the range of the function is $\displaystyle{R= \left ( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x), \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} f(x) \right )=(-\infty, +\infty)=\mathbb{R}}$

So, since $0 \in R$, the function has at least one root.To use the intermediate value theorem, you could use the interval $[1,2]$.

2b. It is correct!

Thanks for the insightful response. Could you please clarify what you're referring to for 1b?

\(\displaystyle y-f(x_0)=f'(x_0)(x-x_0)\) is just a fancy way of writing \(\displaystyle y=mx+b\), where b is $f(x_0)$, and m is the derivative of the tangent or $f'(x_0)$

ardentmed said:
Thanks for the insightful response. Could you please clarify what you're referring to for 1b?

When you calculated the tangent line at $x=-1$, you used the formula: y-f(-1)=f'(x)(x-(-1))

but it should be:
y-f(-1)=f'(-1)(x-(-1))

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Limit Definitions and Extreme Value Theorem Help Needed

What is a limit definition?

A limit definition is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the value of a function at a given point and to understand the behavior of a function near that point.

Why are limit definitions important?

Limit definitions are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. They also form the foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus, such as the derivative and the integral.

What is the Extreme Value Theorem?

The Extreme Value Theorem states that a continuous function on a closed interval must have both a maximum and a minimum value. This means that the function must reach its highest and lowest points at some point within the interval.

How is the Extreme Value Theorem used in real life?

The Extreme Value Theorem is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in optimization problems and in analyzing data sets. It can also be used to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the maximum and minimum temperatures in a given area.

What are some common mistakes when using limit definitions and the Extreme Value Theorem?

Some common mistakes when using limit definitions and the Extreme Value Theorem include confusing the concept of continuity with differentiability, and not considering the possibility of multiple maxima or minima within an interval. It is also important to ensure that the function is continuous on the entire interval and not just at the endpoints.