Stuck on proving that this function\signal is not periodic

In summary, the person is seeking help with understanding a function and its period. They have tried deconstructing the function and finding the period, but have not been successful. Another person suggests using an indirect argument and considering the period as an integer. This helps the person understand their mistake and they thank the other person for their help.
Roughmar
First of all, HI! This is my first post and my first day in this forum. =)

I am having quite a problem demystifying this function. It's on a book I have and it clearly states that it isn't periodical. I can't reach that conclusion and was hoping you could help me out.

So, the function in question is [tex]x(t)=sin(\pi t)cos(10t)[/tex]

What I did was to deconstruct this into
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left[ sin(\pi t+10t)-sin(\pi t-10t)\right][/tex]

Now, I think that the period of the first sin is [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\pi +10}[/tex] and the one from the second sin is [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\pi -10}[/tex].

I then try to find the fundamental period of the whole function:

[tex]n\frac{2\pi}{\pi +10}=m\frac{2\pi}{\pi -10}\Rightarrow m=\pi -10[/tex] and [tex]n=\pi+10 \Rightarrow T=2\pi[/tex]

I know I have to be doing something wrong and possibly it's also really basic, but I got stuck.
Can anyone help me out? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
But your m and n aren't integers. Try an indirect argument. Suppose your x(t) has period P, so x(t+P) = x(t). What does that give you? What happens if you put t = 0 in it?

LCKurtz said:
But your m and n aren't integers. Try an indirect argument. Suppose your x(t) has period P, so x(t+P) = x(t). What does that give you? What happens if you put t = 0 in it?

I had done the substitution before, and noticed it didn't work, but couldn't understand why.
As soon as you said "integer" however, I just facepalmed myself.

Thank you so much.

Related to Stuck on proving that this function\signal is not periodic

1. How do you prove that a function/signal is not periodic?

To prove that a function/signal is not periodic, you can use the definition of periodicity, which states that a function/signal is periodic if it repeats itself after a certain interval. Therefore, to prove that a function/signal is not periodic, you need to show that it does not repeat itself after any interval.

2. What evidence can be used to show that a function/signal is not periodic?

There are several ways to show that a function/signal is not periodic. Some common methods include graphing the function/signal and observing if it repeats itself, finding the period of the function/signal and showing that it is not a constant value, or using mathematical proofs to demonstrate that the function/signal does not repeat itself.

3. Can a function/signal be both periodic and non-periodic?

No, a function/signal can only be either periodic or non-periodic. If a function/signal repeats itself after a certain interval, it is considered periodic. However, if a function/signal does not repeat itself after any interval, it is considered non-periodic.

4. Is there a specific method to prove that a function/signal is not periodic?

There is no one specific method to prove that a function/signal is not periodic. The method used will depend on the specific function/signal and the available evidence. Some common methods include graphing, finding the period, and using mathematical proofs.

5. Why is it important to prove that a function/signal is not periodic?

Proving that a function/signal is not periodic is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior of the function/signal. It also helps us to identify any patterns or trends in the function/signal that may not be immediately apparent. Additionally, knowing whether a function/signal is periodic or not can help in making predictions and analyzing data in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.