Simplification of complex expression

I will try to simplify the expression using your suggestion as well.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for |E|^2 in terms of a given expression for E and a substitution for V. The first attempt at a solution involves substituting the given expression for V into the original expression for E, but there are sign errors when taking the complex conjugate. The correct approach involves using the correct complex conjugate and simplifying the expression to get the desired result.
roam

Homework Statement

For the expression:

$$E=\frac{E_{0}}{2}\left(\exp\left[\frac{j\pi V}{2V_{\pi}}\right]+j\exp\left[-\frac{j\pi V}{2V_{\pi}}\right]\right)$$

I want to show that if ##V=m(t)-\frac{V_{\pi}}{2}##, then ##|E|^2## can be written as:

$$|E|^2=\frac{E^2_{0}}{2}\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)\right). \tag{1}$$

Note: here ##j^2=-1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting:

$$E(t)=\frac{E_{0}}{2}\left(\exp\left[\frac{j\pi}{2V_{\pi}}\left(m(t)-\frac{V_{\pi}}{2}\right)\right]+j\exp\left[-\frac{j\pi}{2V_{\pi}}\left(m(t)-\frac{V_{\pi}}{2}\right)\right]\right)$$

$$=\frac{E_{0}}{2}\left(\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]+j\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]\right)$$

Multiplying by the complex conjugate:

##|E(2)|^{2}=\left(\frac{E_{0}}{2}\right)^{2}\left(\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]+j\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]\right).\left(\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]-j\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi}{2V_{\pi}}m(t)-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]\right)##

$$|E(2)|^{2}=\underline{\left(\frac{E_{0}}{2}\right)^{2}\left(\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right]+\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right]\right)}.$$

Writing this explicitly in terms of trigonometric functions:

##=\left(\frac{E_{0}}{2}\right)^{2}\left[\left(\cos\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)+j\sin\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)\right)\left(\underbrace{\cos\left(-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+j\sin\left(-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)}_{-j}\right)+\left(\cos\left(-\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)+j\sin\left(-\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)\right)\underbrace{\left(\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+j\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right)}_{j}\right]##

$$=\left(\frac{E_{0}}{2}\right)^{2}\left[-j\cos\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)+j\cos\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)\right]$$

$$=\boxed{\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{2}\sin\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)}\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{2}\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)\right)$$

If we had sin2, then we might have been able to use the half-angle formula. But I am not sure what to do here.

So, how can I get from ##\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{2}\sin\left(\frac{\pi m(t)}{V_{\pi}}\right)## to equation (1)? Did I make a mistake somewhere? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Multiplying by the complex conjugate:
There are sign errors here. What is the complex conjugate of ##e^{jx}##?

Likes roam
Suggestion to make it much simpler: Let ## m'=\frac{\pi m}{2V_{\pi}} ##. Also write ## je^{jx} ## as ## e^{j (\pi/2)} e^{jx} ##. A few minutes of work including correctly taking complex conjugates should get you the result.

Likes roam and mfb
I see. I made a mistake taking the complex conjugate of the expression. So I used:

$$\overline{\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi m}{2V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]+j\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi m}{2V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]}=\exp\left[-j\left(\frac{\pi m}{2V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]-j\exp\left[j\left(\frac{\pi m}{2V_{\pi}}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\right]$$

and I got the correct result. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Likes mfb and Charles Link

Related to Simplification of complex expression

1. What is simplification of complex expression?

Simplification of complex expression is the process of reducing a complex mathematical or logical expression into a more concise and manageable form. It involves using various mathematical properties and rules to simplify the expression without changing its meaning.

2. Why is simplification of complex expression important?

Simplification of complex expression is important because it makes mathematical and logical equations easier to understand and work with. It also helps in solving problems and making calculations more efficient and accurate.

3. What are some common techniques used for simplification of complex expression?

Some common techniques used for simplification of complex expression include factoring, distribution, combining like terms, and using the order of operations. These techniques help to identify and simplify common patterns or terms in an expression.

4. Is there a specific order in which simplification of complex expression should be done?

Yes, there is a specific order in which simplification of complex expression should be done. This order is known as the "order of operations" or "PEMDAS" (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). This ensures that the expression is simplified correctly and consistently.

5. Are there any limitations to simplification of complex expression?

Yes, there are some limitations to simplification of complex expression. In some cases, an expression may not be able to be simplified further without changing its meaning. Additionally, certain expressions may require more advanced techniques or tools to simplify, and may not be easily simplified by hand.