Stone Weierstrass application?

In summary, using the Stone-Weierstrass theorem, it can be proven that the span of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$ is an algebra of real continuous functions on the compact set [0,1]. This set also separates points on [0,1] and vanishes at no point. Therefore, it is dense in $C([0,1])$. For the second part, one can use the fact that polynomials are dense and a suitable homeomorphism of [0,1] with itself.
nalgas

Homework Statement

I want to prove that the span of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$ is dense in $C([0,1])$.

Furthermore, that the closure of the span of $\{x^{2n+1}:n \geq0\}$ is $\{f \in C([0,1]):f(0) = 0\}$.

Homework Equations

Is my solution correct?

Now I do not know how to tackle the second part. Any help?

Thank you for helping the community.

The Attempt at a Solution

My work:

I guess I can use the Stone-Weierstrass theorem.

Define $A =$ span of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$.
I need to prove A is an algebra of real continuous functions on a compact set I = [0,1]. The set I is compact since it is continuous and bounded.

A is an algebra since if, for example I multiply $fg = x^2x^4 = x^8 \in A$.

Next, need to show A separates points on I. So, points $x_1,x_2 \in [0,1] \Rightarrow f(x_1) \neq f(x_2), f(x_1), f(x_2) \in \{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$.

Finally, A vanishes at no point of I, i.e. $\forall x \in [0,1]$ elements of $\{x^{2n}:n \geq0\}$ are $\neq0$.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can certainly do that, it will work fine. Or, if you're lazy, you can just recycle the fact that polynomials are dense (presumably you've already proved that since you're using Weierstrass), by using a simple transformation (homeomorphism of [0,1] with itself), do you see which one ?

Related to Stone Weierstrass application?

1. What is the Stone Weierstrass theorem?

The Stone Weierstrass theorem is a fundamental result in real analysis that states that any continuous function on a compact interval can be uniformly approximated by polynomials. It can also be extended to complex functions and compact Hausdorff spaces.

2. How is the Stone Weierstrass theorem used in applications?

The Stone Weierstrass theorem has many applications in various fields of mathematics and science. It is commonly used in approximation theory, signal processing, and control theory. It is also used in the proof of the Hahn-Banach theorem in functional analysis.

3. What is the importance of the Stone Weierstrass theorem in mathematics?

The Stone Weierstrass theorem is a powerful tool in analysis and its proof involves many important concepts such as compactness, uniform convergence, and the algebra of continuous functions. It also has numerous applications in other areas of mathematics, making it an essential result for any mathematician to understand.

4. Can the Stone Weierstrass theorem be extended to other spaces?

Yes, the Stone Weierstrass theorem can be extended to other spaces, such as Banach spaces and locally compact spaces. However, the proof and conditions for the theorem may vary depending on the specific space being considered.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to the Stone Weierstrass theorem?

There are some limitations to the Stone Weierstrass theorem, such as the requirement for the function to be defined on a compact interval. Additionally, the theorem does not hold for non-continuous functions or functions that are not defined on a compact set. However, there are other theorems that can be used in these cases, such as the Weierstrass approximation theorem.