Rudin POMA: chapter 4 problem 14

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for a continuous mapping function on an interval [0,1] into itself that proves that the function must cross through the line y=x at least once. The proof relies on the assumption that the function is strictly monotonic, but this assumption is flawed. Another approach using the function g(x) = f(x) - x is mentioned, but it is not clear how it can be used to solve the problem.
anon3335

Homework Statement

Question: Let ##I = [0,1]##. Suppose ##f## is a continuous mapping of ##I## into ##I##. Prove that ##f(x) = x## for at least one ##x∈I##.

Homework Equations

Define first(##[A,B]##) = ##A## and second(##[A,B]##) = ##B## where ##[A,B]## is an interval in ##R##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: let ##M = sup\ f(I)## and ##m = inf\ f(I)##. Assume that ##M ≠ m## and that ##f(x) ≠ x## for all ##x∈ I##.Then ##f## is strictly monotonic and so let ##L_1## = ##[f(m),f(M)]## and define ##L_n ##=## [f(first(L_{n-1}), f(second(L_{n-1}))]## (##n ≥ 2##). Then V=## \bigcap L_n## is non empty. Now let ##y∈V##. Then there exists ##x_1∈ V## such that ##f(x_1) = y##. Then if ##x_1 ≠y##, we have ##f(x_1) ≠ y##, which is a contradiction and so ##x_1 = y##. But this is contradicting our assumption. For the case where ##M = m## it is trivial as the function would be a constant one.

Physics news on Phys.org
anon3335 said:

Homework Statement

Proof: let ##M = sup\ f(I)## and ##m = inf\ f(I)##. Assume that ##M ≠ m## and that ##f(x) ≠ x## for all ##x∈ I##.Then ##f## is strictly monotonic
I don't see how ##M>m## and ##f(x) ≠ x## imply that f(x) is monotonic.

tnich said:
I don't see how ##M>m## and ##f(x) ≠ x## imply that f(x) is monotonic.
Since then ##f## would be a continuous injective function on ##I## and so it is strictly monotonic.

anon3335 said:
Since then ##f## would be a continuous injective function on ##I## and so it is strictly monotonic.
I agree that a continuous injective function is monotonic, but why is the function injective? How does ##f(x) \neq x## imply this?

tnich said:
I agree that a continuous injective function is monotonic, but why is the function injective? How does ##f(x) \neq x## imply this?
Let ##x_1## ≠ ##x_2##. Then one gets ##f(x_1) ≠ f(x_2)## according to our assumption and so ##f## is injective.

anon3335 said:
Let ##x_1## ≠ ##x_2##. Then one gets ##f(x_1) ≠ f(x_2)## according to our assumption and so ##f## is injective.
Your argument is ##x_1 \neq f(x_1)## and ##x_2 \neq f(x_2)## implies ##f(x_1) \neq f(x_2)##?

tnich said:
Your argument is ##x_1 \neq f(x_1)## and ##x_2 \neq f(x_2)## implies ##f(x_1) \neq f(x_2)##?
Yup.

anon3335 said:
Yup.
So ##f(x_1) \neq x_1 \neq x_2 \neq f(x_2)## implies ##f(x_1) \neq f(x_2)##? But ##\neq## is not transitive

Last edited by a moderator:
anon3335 said:
Question: Let ##I = [0,1]##. Suppose ##f## is a continuous mapping of ##I## into ##I##. Prove that ##f(x) = x## for at least one ##x∈I##.
Basically, you're trying to show that every function f that maps the interval [0, 1] into itself must cross through or touch the line y = x at least once. I agree with @tnich that you are asserting that f is injective without showing why this must be true. In fact, for the given conditions, it doesn't have to be true (that f is injective).

In the graph below, f (dark curve) maps [0, 1] into [0, 1]. f is continuous on [0, 1], but neither injective nor surjective.

graph.png

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 365
What could you do with the function ##g(x) \equiv f(x) - x##?

tnich said:
So ##f(x_1) \neq x_1 \neq x_2 \neq f(x_2)## implies ##f(x_1) \neq f(x_2)##? But ##\neq## is not transitive
Yes you are right. My argument is flawed in that step, but what if we delete that part from the proof? wouldn't the proof still hold?

anon3335 said:
Yes you are right. My argument is flawed in that step, but what if we delete that part from the proof? wouldn't the proof still hold?
Can you make your sequence of intervals converge without it? Could you make your sequence converge even with it? Consider the case ##f(x) = 1-x##.

tnich said:
Can you make your sequence of intervals converge without it? Could you make your sequence converge even with it? Consider the case ##f(x) = 1-x##.
Ah I see. Yes the argument would not hold. Thanks for your help.

tnich said:
What could you do with the function ##g(x) \equiv f(x) - x##?
I have solved the problem with this specific way, but I wanted to solve the problem with another approach.

Related to Rudin POMA: chapter 4 problem 14

1. What is Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14?

Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14 is a specific problem from the textbook "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" written by Walter Rudin. It is a problem related to the study of sequences and series in mathematical analysis.

2. What is the difficulty level of Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14?

The difficulty level of Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14 is considered to be advanced, as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve it.

3. How can I approach solving Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14?

There are various approaches that can be used to solve Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14. One approach is to use the techniques and concepts introduced in the previous chapters of the textbook. Another approach is to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve each part separately.

4. Are there any helpful resources available for solving Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as forums, study guides, and video tutorials that provide step-by-step solutions to Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14. It is also recommended to seek help from a math tutor or professor if needed.

5. Why is it important to solve Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14?

Solving Rudin POMA Chapter 4 Problem 14 helps to strengthen the understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also prepares students for more advanced topics in mathematical analysis.