Stereotypical What are my chances Question

• Thread starter Kindayr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, the third year math major is looking forward to a life of studying math, and is considering schools in Canada, the USA, and Europe. The student is nervous about the prospect, but is hopeful. The student is unsure about whether going to graduate school then getting a PhD is the best route, but is excited about the potential for doing research. The student is open to studying in Belgium.
Kindayr
Stereotypical "What are my chances" Question

I'm a third year math major, and just trying to focus my life right now, hahaha.

I know you guys get these all the time, but I'm just trying to figure some future stuff out on my day off from work.

I'm looking forward to a life time of studying math, because the real world sucks, and there's nothing better than learning as much as possible. For Canadian schools I am looking at McGill, Toronto, and Waterloo for my Master's or PhD. I am also looking at schools in Britain and the US. My cGPA jumps between 3.9 and 4.0, and by graduation I will have had 3 NSERC USRA's held (one in Astrophysics research, and two in Pure Mathematics). I am, however, taking a fifth year as a special student status to take a small mix of undergraduate, graduate, and electives I missed out on, and to travel with friends the other half.

Will it hurt me if I go Master's then PhD?

Do I stand a chance getting into schools outside of Canada?

I'm just having a little bit of anxiety, and just need some way to rest it.

Thank you very much for your time, and any advice is appreciated.

Also, I've enjoyed most topics I have had exposure to so far, but I am really intrigued by both Algebraic Topology and Non-commutative geometry (I haven't had a full frontal course in either, yet).

Physics news on Phys.org

If you go to Europe, then you need to have a masters before you can start with the PhD. So it won't hurt you.

You certainly have a shot of getting into schools outside Canada. Be sure to pick schools that are decent in algebraic topology and geometry. And be sure to pick your courses very well. For example, advanced graph theory will probably do you no good, so there's no need in picking that.

Noncommutative topics and algebraic geometry are some of the hottest topics of today. So you'll certainly find a place for you.

Why not come study in Belgium?? :-p It's a beautiful country and I'm sure they'll let you in with you GPA. :biggrin:

Kindayr said:
I'm looking forward to a life time of studying math, because the real world sucks, and there's nothing better than learning as much as possible.
Keep in mind that doing research - if that's what you end up doing - at the university is very much like the real world. It is all too easy to fall into the trap of thinking that doing science is like working in the ivory tower, completely isolated from all the political drama. This is untrue. Researchers have to work hard to get funds to actually do research. And this, like many other things, is all politics and business as usual.

Kindayr said:
Will it hurt me if I go Master's then PhD?
Depends. In Europe it's the norm (though there are exceptions). In the USA not so much. Most importantly, however, do you feel like spending at least two more years of your life on getting to know more about the field? If you do, then go Master's and take as many extra classes as you find interesting (given your general interest: a lot). If you want to get on with it and want to work at some university as quickly as possible, go PhD.

Kindayr said:
Do I stand a chance getting into schools outside of Canada?
If you can deal with people without making them think you're too weird. Yes. It's a bit more complicated than applying to schools in your own country, though.

Oh, and ignore micromass. You should come to the Netherlands! ;)

Last edited:

Related to Stereotypical What are my chances Question

What is a stereotypical question?

A stereotypical question is a question that reflects and reinforces a commonly held belief or stereotype about a certain group of people.

Why do people ask stereotypical questions?

People may ask stereotypical questions out of ignorance, curiosity, or a desire to confirm their own beliefs. However, these questions can be harmful and perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

How can I avoid asking stereotypical questions?

The best way to avoid asking stereotypical questions is to educate yourself about different cultures, identities, and experiences. Practice empathy and sensitivity, and be aware of your own biases and assumptions.

What should I do if I accidentally ask a stereotypical question?

If you realize that you have asked a stereotypical question, apologize and take the time to learn why it was offensive. Make a conscious effort to avoid asking similar questions in the future.

How can I respond to someone who asks me a stereotypical question?

You can respond by calmly educating the person about why the question is offensive and how it perpetuates harmful stereotypes. You can also redirect the conversation to a more productive topic or choose not to engage with the question at all.