Statistics vs computer science

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in finding a program that combines mathematics and physics, with a preference for engineering but concerns about grades. They mention their current interest in Java and inquire about other majors that may be suitable. The suggestion of computational science is offered as an alternative option to engineering.
Woojin
i have read course descriptions for both, but i want to hear honest opinions from people who actually are in, or have finished, either program.
what is it like? i know they're both heavy on mathematics and that is fine because i like mathematics.
im currently learning java whenever i get spare time, and it is quiet interesting i have to say, but i also know that computer science is not all about coding.
is there any other major that might be suitable for a person who likes physics and mathematics beside engineering?
my primary option for university application is engineering, but I am just not sure that my grades are high enough to get me into the engineering school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked into computational science? It uses tools from math, computer science, and physical sciences to solve and model problems. Some schools call it scientific computing. There are also degrees in things like computation physics, computational mathematics, computational biology, etc. Do a Google search for it.

im afraid that the only "computational" program the university i applied to has is computational media design

Related to Statistics vs computer science

What is the difference between statistics and computer science?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data. It is used to make predictions and decisions based on data. Computer science, on the other hand, is the study of computers and computational systems, including their design and development. It involves programming and problem-solving using computers.

Which field is more focused on data?

Both statistics and computer science deal with data, but statistics is more focused on analyzing and interpreting data, while computer science is more focused on collecting and processing data using algorithms and programming.

Do statistics and computer science use similar techniques?

Yes, statistics and computer science do use some similar techniques, such as data manipulation and visualization. However, the application and purpose of these techniques may differ between the two fields.

Which field is more applicable to real-world problems?

Both statistics and computer science have practical applications in solving real-world problems. Statistics is commonly used in fields such as economics, social sciences, and healthcare, while computer science is used in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, and healthcare.

Can you pursue a career in both statistics and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both statistics and computer science. Many job roles, such as data scientist, require knowledge and skills in both fields. It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths, as well as the specific job requirements.