Starting the grad school search: what schools for quantum gravity?

In summary, I would recommend considering the above institutions for your graduate studies, based on your research interests and location preferences. Good luck with your applications and don't hesitate to reach out for more help and advice. Best of luck to you!
Domenic
Hi all,

I just started signing up for my GREs, and when they started asking for institutions to which my scores should be sent, I froze up and realized that I hadn't really nailed down my grad school choices yet. Eek! Some amount of Google-time later, this forum seems like it would be a good place to get some help, since I'm feeling kind of lost in this.

So, here's my question in a nutshell: What schools should I consider applying to if I want to do research in (probably non-stringy) quantum gravity? There really aren't any names that stick out from the papers I've read, at least in the U.S. (where I'm pretty sure I want to stay---although that's not set in stone). A few British universities, a few German ones, and the Perimeter Institute of course. But I'm feeling kind of ignorant as to how to even start the search for others. It seems like this would be common knowledge among the right circles, and I'd get more reliable results just by asking---so here I am!

Some details: all of the details are on my http://domenicdenicola.com/Resume/Research.aspx".

I have some connections at the Perimeter Institute from such research, and plan on applying there---although spending ~4 years of my 20s in a male-dominated institute with like 15 grad students seems a bit hazardous to my social life. I'm also planning on applying to Caltech for a Ph.D. as well, since the direction of my work with Professor Marcolli this summer really seems like it'd be worth doing a thesis on, plus I love the community. Other than that, though, I'm not really sure where I should be looking. I'd kind of like to stay in the U.S., and especially near a metropolitan area (Boston, LA, NYC, etc.) but maybe I could get used to England if e.g. Imperial College is the place to go.

So, yeah... help? And thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on starting the process of applying for your GREs! It can be a daunting task, but it's great that you are seeking help and guidance early on in the process. As a scientist in the field of quantum gravity, I can definitely provide some insight and recommendations for potential grad schools to consider.

Based on your research interests, it seems like you have a strong foundation in theoretical physics and mathematics. With that in mind, I would highly recommend looking into the following institutions in the U.S. for your graduate studies:

1. MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) - Their Department of Physics has a strong focus on theoretical physics and offers a Ph.D. program in theoretical physics with a specialization in quantum gravity.

2. Harvard University - Their Department of Physics also has a strong theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a Center for the Fundamental Laws of Nature, which may be of interest to you.

3. Princeton University - Their Department of Physics has a renowned theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a Center for Theoretical Science, which may have research opportunities in quantum gravity.

4. University of California, Berkeley - Their Department of Physics has a strong focus on theoretical physics and offers a Ph.D. program in this field. They also have a Center for Theoretical Physics, which may have research opportunities in quantum gravity.

5. Stanford University - Their Department of Physics has a strong theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology, which may have research opportunities in quantum gravity.

Outside of the U.S., I would also recommend looking into the following institutions:

1. University of Cambridge (UK) - Their Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics has a renowned theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a strong focus on quantum gravity research.

2. University of Oxford (UK) - Their Department of Physics has a strong theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a Theoretical Physics Research Group, which may have research opportunities in quantum gravity.

3. Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Germany) - Their Faculty of Physics has a strong theoretical physics program and offers a Ph.D. in this field. They also have a Center for Mathematical and Theoretical Physics, which may have research opportunities

As a scientist in the field of quantum gravity, I understand the importance of choosing the right graduate program for your research interests. It's great that you are starting early and considering your options carefully. I would recommend looking at universities with strong programs in theoretical physics, as quantum gravity is a subfield of this discipline. Some top schools in the U.S. for theoretical physics include MIT, Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford. These universities also have strong connections with research institutions such as the Perimeter Institute and CERN, which could provide valuable opportunities for collaboration and networking.

Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to professors or researchers in the field and ask for their recommendations on graduate programs. They may have insider knowledge on which universities have the best resources and opportunities for quantum gravity research.

In terms of location, it's important to find a program that not only aligns with your research interests but also offers a supportive and diverse community. Don't limit yourself to just one geographic location - consider all of your options and choose the program that feels like the best fit for you.

Best of luck in your grad school search! Keep exploring and asking questions - you're on the right track.

Related to Starting the grad school search: what schools for quantum gravity?

1. What is quantum gravity and why is it important?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important because it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

2. What kind of background or prerequisites are needed for graduate school in quantum gravity?

A strong background in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and general relativity, is essential for graduate school in quantum gravity. Some familiarity with advanced mathematics, such as differential geometry and group theory, may also be helpful.

3. What programs or departments should I look for when searching for graduate schools in quantum gravity?

When searching for graduate schools in quantum gravity, look for programs or departments that have a strong focus on theoretical physics, particularly in the areas of quantum mechanics and general relativity. Some schools may also have specific research groups or centers dedicated to quantum gravity.

4. Are there any specific professors or researchers I should consider when looking at graduate schools for quantum gravity?

Yes, it is important to consider the faculty at the graduate schools you are interested in. Look for professors who have expertise in quantum gravity and are actively conducting research in the field. You may also want to reach out to potential advisors to discuss their research and see if it aligns with your interests.

5. What should I look for in terms of funding opportunities for graduate school in quantum gravity?

Funding opportunities for graduate school in quantum gravity can vary greatly between schools. Look for programs that offer competitive stipends, tuition waivers, and opportunities for research assistantships. You may also want to consider applying for external fellowships or scholarships to supplement your funding.