Starting Out Undergrad: Advice Requested

• Thread starter kingdomof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, this person is going into an undergraduate Biochemistry program in an 'honors college'. They are already putting time in a lab at the college and have registered for their classes. They are worried about the workload and have been told that it is only recommended for Pre-Med students. They want some advice on classes and all.
kingdomof
Hello,

I'm going into an undergrad Biochemistry program next year in an 'honors college' (Basically, one of those set ups where students who have above average academic standing is given tuition, perks, etc). I'm already putting some time in a lab at the college and getting experience, and I've registered for my classes. Those being Gen Bio I, Gen Chem I, Calc I, and a Humanities course for the honors college. I've been told that this is an insane workload by my student adviser, and it's only recommended for Pre-Med students (which I have absolutely no interest in).

So I want some advice with classes and all. I'm taking Calc in HS and I've been one of the top students in it. Though I'm sort of worried about the other courses which I've taken. They seem handleable (I've studied Gen Bio by myself for the most part because my AP Bio class is unstable, along with Gen Chem since I felt it should go with Biology), but I've been warned about the weed out business that occurs in the Gen level courses. Any advice you wise educated people have to offer is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kingdomof said:
Hello,

I'm going into an undergrad Biochemistry program next year in an 'honors college' (Basically, one of those set ups where students who have above average academic standing is given tuition, perks, etc). I'm already putting some time in a lab at the college and getting experience, and I've registered for my classes. Those being Gen Bio I, Gen Chem I, Calc I, and a Humanities course for the honors college. I've been told that this is an insane workload by my student adviser, and it's only recommended for Pre-Med students (which I have absolutely no interest in).

So I want some advice with classes and all. I'm taking Calc in HS and I've been one of the top students in it. Though I'm sort of worried about the other courses which I've taken. They seem handleable (I've studied Gen Bio by myself for the most part because my AP Bio class is unstable, along with Gen Chem since I felt it should go with Biology), but I've been warned about the weed out business that occurs in the Gen level courses. Any advice you wise educated people have to offer is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to PF kingdomof. Recognize my name much?

Thanks, and I do not recognize you, sorry.

Related to Starting Out Undergrad: Advice Requested

1. What is the most important advice for starting out as an undergraduate student?

The most important advice for starting out as an undergraduate student is to prioritize your time and stay organized. This means creating a schedule and sticking to it, setting aside dedicated study time, and keeping track of assignments and deadlines.

2. How can I balance my academic workload and extracurricular activities?

To balance your academic workload and extracurricular activities, it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule that includes time for both studying and participating in extracurriculars, and be sure to stick to it. It is also important to not take on too many extracurricular activities and to prioritize the ones that are most meaningful to you.

3. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate experience?

To make the most out of your undergraduate experience, it is important to take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. This includes participating in extracurricular activities, joining clubs or organizations, completing internships or research projects, and building relationships with professors and peers.

4. What is the best way to study for exams in college?

The best way to study for exams in college is to start early and review material consistently. This means attending classes, taking thorough notes, and reviewing them regularly. It is also helpful to create study guides, practice quizzes, and work with classmates to review material.

5. How can I handle the transition from high school to college?

The transition from high school to college can be challenging, but there are a few tips to help make it smoother. First, be open to new experiences and embrace the changes that come with college life. It is also important to seek support from friends, family, and resources on campus. Lastly, remember to take care of yourself and prioritize your mental and physical health during this transition.