Start Learning Physics: Books and Online Courses Recommended

In summary, the conversation is about a 7th grade student who wants to start learning physics on their own. They ask for recommendations on books and online courses, and their level of math is discussed. A book by Paul Hewitt is suggested, but it is mentioned that it may be too advanced for the student's current level. The importance of having a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry is emphasized, and it is suggested to use resources like Khan Academy to improve math skills before diving into physics.
Titas
Hey everyone, I am in 7th grade right now and I started learning physics in my school. I've become really interested in it and I have only one lesson in a week so I want to start learning it by myself.. So how should I start? Which books and online courses would you recommend ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your level of math?

In trimesters I get only 10.

My recommendation is that you go to khanacademy.org and get your math level up, and then start learning some physics from there.
I'm not sure on "proper" books you should get yet, since you're in 7th grade, because most physics books, that I've seen, rely on math.

I strongly recommend Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt. It hardly uses any math.

Likes CalcNerd
Hewitt's book is written for people about four more years along than the OP.

MugiwaraNoSanji said:
What is your level of math?
Titas said:
In trimesters I get only 10.

I think he means, what topics in math have you studied: algebra? trigonometry? calculus? or what?

Vanadium 50 said:
Hewitt's book is written for people about four more years along than the OP.
Yeah, you're right.
I shouldn't have recommended that book.
I recommended it because I think that an intelligent student in middle school should be able to understand Hewitt's textbook.

Last edited:
Please, don't worry about my math skills. If I am not going to understand something I will just ask my math teacher about it or check it on internet..And I don't care if that textbook will be a bit too complicated for me, don't worry about that.

Titas said:
Please, don't worry about my math skills. If I am not going to understand something I will just ask my math teacher about it or check it on internet..And I don't care if that textbook will be a bit too complicated for me, don't worry about that.
What does this mean ?

Titas said:

You should care that a textbook will be too complicated for you. Just "asking your math teacher" or "checking on the internet" does not really suffice for more complicated math like calculus.

Likes Entanglement
So what should I do ?

Titas said:
So what should I do ?
If you don't have a good grasp on algebra and trigonometry, you will not be able to understand the mathematics behind the most basic physics textbooks. There are textbooks and courses out there that teach physics without advanced math such as calculus that use olny algebra and trig. These textbooks will make approximations and hand waving to "get rid of the calculus" which can be good for beginners.

so step 1.
learn algebra and trig!

I agree with the khan academy statement!

Thanks for the answers everyone

Related to Start Learning Physics: Books and Online Courses Recommended

What are the benefits of learning physics?

Learning physics can help improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and mathematical skills. It also provides a deeper understanding of how the world works and can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, medicine, and research.

What are some recommended books for learning physics?

Some recommended books for learning physics include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

Are there any free online courses available for learning physics?

Yes, there are several free online courses available for learning physics, such as the "Introduction to Physics" course on Khan Academy and the "Physics for Beginners" course on Coursera.

What is the best way to approach learning physics?

The best way to approach learning physics is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation of fundamental concepts. It is also important to practice regularly and actively engage with the material through problem-solving and experiments.

Can anyone learn physics or is it only for people with a strong math background?

Anyone can learn physics, regardless of their math background. While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not a requirement. With dedication and effort, anyone can grasp the concepts and principles of physics.