Will Future Technologies Like Replicators and Holodecks Change Society?

In summary, the new technology in Star Trek is based on replicators and holodecks. The population could go one of two ways with this technology: they could become lazy and hedonistic, or they could be driven by a desire to contribute to society.
chc_cac
Recall in Star Trek the next generation and of the new series, they use replicators and holodecks.

Many science degrees work hard in all fields of knowledge.
In the future technology will mature and that kind of science may be real.

How do you think society will react this scientific technology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some people will be rather annoyed. Star Trek is a vision of the future where science and technology has provided almost limitless energy and almost limitless food supplies. These are the two fundamental things that drive the economy and the two things that give people power over other people.

The population can then go one of two ways. They could become lazy and hedonistic as in brave new world, or they could be driven by a desire to contribute to society. Most likely there will be a mixture of both.

Kurdt said:
Some people will be rather annoyed. Star Trek is a vision of the future where science and technology has provided almost limitless energy and almost limitless food supplies. These are the two fundamental things that drive the economy and the two things that give people power over other people.

The population can then go one of two ways. They could become lazy and hedonistic
That's what I'm waiting for!

HallsofIvy said:
That's what I'm waiting for!

Yeah, if only these damned scientists would pull their finger out. :smile:

By Roddenberry's original vision, money wouldn't exist in ST's era. Notice that it is never mentioned (other than away missions) until those pesky Ferengi showed up. Everyone had full access to anything that s/he wanted, and worked for the feeling of accomplishment. It does make me wonder why anyone would voluntarily don that red shirt...

NEVER the red shirt!
I was wishing to see more inventions in my life time, those inventors better get to stepping!

We're not too far off with some of them. The diagnostic beds... got 'em (albeit with physical connections to the patient). Universal translator... we have pocket organizers that can translate about a dozen languages, although you have to input it as text. Geordi's VISOR (capitalized because it's an acronym)... there are optical implants than can allow a blind person to 'see' to a very limited extent.
All that remains is to makes the rules of 'Fisbin' universally available.

You could probably do a PhD in the rules of fisbin (or fizzbin).

My wife would give my left nut for a replicator. I suppose she could then replicate me a new one. ouch.

Your wife must be a Conservative. I'd give both of yours for one... :rolleyes:

Related to Will Future Technologies Like Replicators and Holodecks Change Society?

1. What is the goal of the "Star trek inc, science project"?

The goal of the "Star trek inc, science project" is to explore and create innovative technologies and scientific advancements that align with the principles and concepts depicted in the Star Trek franchise.

2. How does "Star trek inc, science project" relate to the Star Trek franchise?

The "Star trek inc, science project" is inspired by the Star Trek franchise and its futuristic technologies, with the aim of bringing these concepts to life through real-world scientific research and development.

3. Who is involved in the "Star trek inc, science project"?

The "Star trek inc, science project" involves a team of scientists, engineers, and researchers from various fields who are passionate about bringing the world of Star Trek to reality.

4. What kind of projects does "Star trek inc, science project" work on?

The "Star trek inc, science project" works on a variety of projects, ranging from advanced propulsion systems and energy sources to medical technologies and artificial intelligence, all with the goal of pushing the boundaries of science and technology.

5. How can I get involved with the "Star trek inc, science project"?

If you are interested in getting involved with the "Star trek inc, science project", you can reach out to the team through their website or social media channels to inquire about potential opportunities for collaboration, funding, or volunteer work.