Stack Overflow temporarily bans ChatGPT-generated submissions

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chatgpt
In summary, the popular question-and-answer site Stack Overflow has temporarily banned users from sharing responses generated by AI chatbot ChatGPT. This decision was made due to concerns that the easy generation of responses could lead to an influx of incorrect answers flooding the site. While the ban is temporary, the site's moderators will consult with the community to make a final ruling in the future. Some users have already experienced the capabilities of ChatGPT and have found it to be surprisingly accurate, while others have noted its occasional production of strange responses. It is expected that this trend will continue as the use of AI chatbots becomes more popular, but will eventually die down.
BWV
https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/5/...emporarily-banned-stack-overflow-llms-dangersStack Overflow, the go-to question-and-answer site for coders and programmers, has temporarily banned users from sharing responses generated by AI chatbot ChatGPT.
The site’s mods said that the ban was temporary and that a final ruling would be made some time in the future after consultation with its community. But, as the mods explained, ChatGPT simply makes it too easy for users to generate responses and flood the site with answers that seem correct at first glance but are often wrong on close examination.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes aaroman, berkeman and jedishrfu
Technology news on Phys.org
I knew this would happen. I played with copy.ai where you provide some starting text, the mood you want and it generate different samples of text.

Sometimes it spot on other times it comes up with the weirdest stuff all grammatically correct.

I don’t know how they will discover this because right now it’s a human moderator who has to decide.

We should expect this to happen here as this fad gets more popular and then it will die down, maybe.

1670316830660.png

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes aaroman, nsaspook, Tom.G and 1 other person
BWV said:
ChatGPT simply makes it too easy for users to generate responses and flood the site with answers that seem correct at first glance but are often wrong on close examination.
Unlike people?

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Hornbein, nsaspook, pbuk and 2 others
It's pretty astonishing. I was able to generate a generally correct tutorial in about 10 seconds on a Python question. Looking forward to GPT-4 in a few months.

Related to Stack Overflow temporarily bans ChatGPT-generated submissions

1. Why did Stack Overflow temporarily ban ChatGPT-generated submissions?

Stack Overflow temporarily banned ChatGPT-generated submissions due to concerns about the quality and relevance of the content being generated. The automated nature of ChatGPT-generated submissions makes it difficult to ensure that the content is accurate and helpful to users.

2. How long will the ban on ChatGPT-generated submissions last?

The ban on ChatGPT-generated submissions is temporary and there is no specific timeline for when it will be lifted. Stack Overflow will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision based on the quality of the submissions being generated.

3. Can I still use ChatGPT on Stack Overflow if I manually submit the content?

Yes, manual submissions using ChatGPT are still allowed on Stack Overflow. It is only the automated submissions that have been temporarily banned. However, it is important to ensure that the content being submitted is relevant and helpful to other users.

4. Are there any alternative tools or methods for generating content on Stack Overflow?

Yes, there are several alternative tools and methods for generating content on Stack Overflow. These include manually writing answers, using code snippets, and using other AI tools that have been approved by Stack Overflow.

5. What can we do to prevent similar bans in the future?

To prevent similar bans in the future, it is important to ensure that the content being generated is of high quality and relevant to the topic at hand. This can be achieved by carefully reviewing the content before submitting it and using approved tools and methods for generating content on Stack Overflow.