Plagiarism & ChatGPT: Is Cheating with AI the New Normal?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chatgpt
In summary, ChatGPT is a chatbot that uses sophisticated technology to generate answers to questions. These responses are written in plain English, that are easy to understand, and incorporate information from a massive neural network. These responses are not perfect, but may pass muster with professors who are short on time. The temptation for cheating is real. And one professor in South Carolina caught plagiarism. He wrote about it on Facebook, and the New York Post followed up.
I can do basic math in my head. I feel this gives me advantage over people who rely on calculators. I can often sense when something has gone wrong with numbers.

Science news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
I can often sense when something has gone wrong with numbers.
Me too. Decades in nuclear power, "verifying" calcs done by others. First pass: does this even make sense? Second pass: are the inputs correct? Third pass: check the arithmetic line-by-line. Goal: do pass three one time only.

gmax137 said:
Me too. Decades in nuclear power, "verifying" calcs done by others. First pass: does this even make sense? Second pass: are the inputs correct? Third pass: check the arithmetic line-by-line. Goal: do pass three one time only.
Sometimes I am shocked by basic math errors in the New York Times, The Economist, and even from the World Bank. I suspect that the great majority of Congressmen are innumerate.

People don't cancel their subscriptions to the NYT because the math is wrong. People do cancel their subscriptions to the NYT because they "platform" a senator they don't agree with on their Op-Ed pages. Which do you think the editors will focus on more?

"Editors" are the ones that are charged with correcting the reporter's grammar. They should also catch stupid mistakes. Or at least, assign fact checkers.

If I see/hear/read a news story with grammar or arithmetic errors, I have to question "what else did they get wrong?"