Spherical Harmonics: Degree l & Order m Structure & Variation

In summary, the structure of a spherical harmonic is determined by its degree l and order m, with l characterizing the functional dependence on polar angles and m characterizing the dependence on azimuthal angles. The first three coefficients, also known as Gaussian coefficients, play a role in the variation of structure within a particular degree l. Manipulating l and m can affect the structure of the harmonic, and using a program such as Hummingbird Exceed/Open Exceed can display these changes. Gaussian coefficients are often used as a basis for spherical harmonics in addition to the more commonly used exponential basis.
henrybrent
I am studying the Earths main magnetic field (internal, specifically the stuff at the Core-Mantle boundary) which has led me to spherical harmonics. I am curious... how is the structure of a spherical harmonic determined by its degree l and order m? What role do the first three coefficients have (are they known as Gaussian Coefficients?) , and the variation in structure within a particular degree l.

I have these questions as I have been playing around with a model of the magnetic field, changing these coefficients but I am at a loss and see no pattern occurring, however, this question applies just to spherical harmonics in general so I can gauge a more overall understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spherical harmonics usually arise when there is a spherical symmetry in the system, or when the system will become easier to describe if spherical coordinate were used.
henrybrent said:
how is the structure of a spherical harmonic determined by its degree l and order m?
You have to look at the functional form of the spherical harmonic corresponding to the particular values of l and m. l characterizes the system's functional dependence on polar angles (I guess in the sense of Earth's coordinate it would be related to the latitude), while m is related to the dependence on azimuthal angle (longitude).
henrybrent said:
first three coefficients
Three? what are they?

blue_leaf77 said:
Spherical harmonics usually arise when there is a spherical symmetry in the system, or when the system will become easier to describe if spherical coordinate were used.

You have to look at the functional form of the spherical harmonic corresponding to the particular values of l and m. l characterizes the system's functional dependence on polar angles (I guess in the sense of Earth's coordinate it would be related to the latitude), while m is related to the dependence on azimuthal angle (longitude).

Three? what are they?
I am not sure how to notate them properly, but g1, g2, g3?

Spherical harmonics are a 2D extension to Fourier harmonics. Each term in the Fourier series is called a harmonic. One way of thinking about a periodic function is to see it as a function defined on a circle. The circle loops back on itself, hence the periodicity. A function defined on a sphere is periodic in 2D, so you need something more complex, so the harmonics are parametrized by two values, l and m, instead of just one for Fourier.

There are different choices of basis you can use for Fourier harmonics. You can use sines and/or cosines, or you can use exponentials with imaginary arguments. The form with exponentials ties in directly to the spherical harmonics. In fact, if you think of a 1D periodic function as being defined on the equator of a sphere, then the nth Fourier harmonic (in exponential form) is completely analogous to the spherical harmonic with m = n. The m value of the spherical harmonic tells you the frequency of the oscillation going around the equator (equivalent to the Fourier harmonic). m can be positive or negative. ##l## is the magnitude of the frequency of the oscillation in all directions. It's hard to visualize ##l## but if you define ##k = l - |m|##, then ##k## is the frequency of oscillation in the north/south direction. The north/south direction is treated differently than the east/west direction due to our choice of coordinates. You can't go north of the north pole, but you can keep going east as far as you like.

Khashishi said:
Spherical harmonics are a 2D extension to Fourier harmonics. Each term in the Fourier series is called a harmonic. One way of thinking about a periodic function is to see it as a function defined on a circle. The circle loops back on itself, hence the periodicity. A function defined on a sphere is periodic in 2D, so you need something more complex, so the harmonics are parametrized by two values, l and m, instead of just one for Fourier.

There are different choices of basis you can use for Fourier harmonics. You can use sines and/or cosines, or you can use exponentials with imaginary arguments. The form with exponentials ties in directly to the spherical harmonics. In fact, if you think of a 1D periodic function as being defined on the equator of a sphere, then the nth Fourier harmonic (in exponential form) is completely analogous to the spherical harmonic with m = n. The m value of the spherical harmonic tells you the frequency of the oscillation going around the equator (equivalent to the Fourier harmonic). m can be positive or negative. ##l## is the magnitude of the frequency of the oscillation in all directions. It's hard to visualize ##l## but if you define ##k = l - |m|##, then ##k## is the frequency of oscillation in the north/south direction. The north/south direction is treated differently than the east/west direction due to our choice of coordinates. You can't go north of the north pole, but you can keep going east as far as you like.

I still don't quite get how changing L and M would affect the structure of the harmonic ?

I have manipulated L and M, and in the case of the Earth,adds more lines, a bit like latitudes, and then the changing M distorts them? any idea of the gaussian co-efficients?

Where are you seeing Gaussian coefficients? Maybe if you cite what you are looking at...
It sounds like you are using a program to display l, m. What program is that?

Khashishi said:
Where are you seeing Gaussian coefficients? Maybe if you cite what you are looking at...
It sounds like you are using a program to display l, m. What program is that?

It's some UNIX environment, Hummingbird Exceed/Open Exceed?

Attachments

• gaussco.png
    gaussco.png
    14 KB · Views: 488
I've never seen "Gauss coefficients" before, but it's pretty clear what they are talking about from the image. I said before that Fourier series can have either sine/cosine basis or exponential basis. The same is true for spherical harmonics, although I have never actually seen sin/cosine used for the basis before this example. In physics, imaginary exponentials are usually used.

The g and h coefficients are the amplitudes of each spherical harmonic. Just like how in a Fourier series, your periodic function is built up out of some amplitude of each sine/cosine harmonic.

Do you understand Fourier series? Here I'm trying to explain how spherical harmonics are just 2D Fourier series, but it doesn't help if you don't understand Fourier series.

Khashishi said:
I've never seen "Gauss coefficients" before, but it's pretty clear what they are talking about from the image. I said before that Fourier series can have either sine/cosine basis or exponential basis. The same is true for spherical harmonics, although I have never actually seen sin/cosine used for the basis before this example. In physics, imaginary exponentials are usually used.

The g and h coefficients are the amplitudes of each spherical harmonic. Just like how in a Fourier series, your periodic function is built up out of some amplitude of each sine/cosine harmonic.

Do you understand Fourier series? Here I'm trying to explain how spherical harmonics are just 2D Fourier series, but it doesn't help if you don't understand Fourier series.

Yes, yes. I'm going about asking my question in the incorrect way I suppose..

440px-Spherical_harmonics_positive_negative.svg.png
I am trying to work out how does changing M and L affect the structure, like in the image

here is a better image to describe what I am trying to work out
640px-Spherical_harmonics.png

l-m is the number of nodes in the vertical direction.
2m is the number of nodes in the horizontal direction. That's because these nodes have to come in pairs since they are great circles.

Related to Spherical Harmonics: Degree l & Order m Structure & Variation

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions used to represent the variation in a function over a sphere. They are commonly used in physics, astronomy, and geophysics to model the physical properties of spherical objects.

2. What is the meaning of degree l and order m in spherical harmonics?

Degree l refers to the number of nodal circles in the function, while order m refers to the number of nodal points on each circle. These values determine the complexity and shape of the spherical harmonic function.

3. How do spherical harmonics vary with degree l and order m?

Spherical harmonics vary in amplitude, phase, and orientation as the degree l and order m are changed. Higher values of l and m result in more complex and oscillating functions, while lower values result in smoother and simpler functions.

4. What are the applications of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have a wide range of applications in physics, astronomy, and geophysics. They are used to model the gravitational potential of planets, the magnetic field of stars, and the distribution of matter in the universe. They are also used in signal processing and computer graphics for pattern recognition and image compression.

5. What is the relationship between spherical harmonics and spherical coordinates?

Spherical harmonics are closely related to spherical coordinates, as they are used to represent functions over a sphere. In fact, the spherical harmonic functions are the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator in spherical coordinates.