What do the color maps in spherical harmonics represent?

In summary: It looks like the color is used to indicate the amplitude of the vibration, which is useful for distinguishing between different modes.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am watching a video about spherical harmonics, and I am at the point where the color map is being shown for various values of ##l## and ##m##

upload_2015-3-27_2-26-56.png

My question is, what am I supposed to make of these plots? Pretty colors yes, but what do these things mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869Z/CHEM869ZLinks/www.rwc.uc.edu/koehler/biophys/6b.html

It looks like quantum numbers for bound electrons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spherical harmonics are the equivalent to the Fourier basis on S^2, as both are the eigenfunctions of the natural Laplacian. The Fourier basis is usually labeled with a set of integer wave numbers, k_n, n=1..N where N is the dimension of the coordinate vector space. Spherical harmonics are labeled with two similar integer wave numbers, usually named l and m. The graphs you posted show the function value of the (l,m)th spherical harmonic basis function with brightness as modulus and hue for the complex phase. That should allow you to understand what the complex basis function looks like.

Not sure what the application is for your example, but the surface of a sphere may have modes of oscillation (radial surface motions).
Simplest way is for the entire surface to move in and out (the whole sphere gets smaller and bigger) - looks like l=0 m=0
Another way is for one half to move in as the other half moves out and vice versa - looks like l=1 m=0
Those are the only ones that look clear in the picture, to me; but the l and m numbers are continuing to identify the modes.
From there the sphere may be sectioned into four longitudinal quadrants where the opposing pairs make opposing motions.
Same for eight sections, four in one half and four in the other, etc...
And others where the moving parts are like the latitudinal bands around the Earth - looks like l=2 m=0

The sections and bands get complicated because they interact to form whole number counts, some required to be even numbers to support a repeating series of opposite polarities of motion (the longitudinal "slices"), and others not held to that constraint (the bands) because they don't repeat, they occupy the poles... the use of the m and l numbers are used to describe all combination possibilities completely.

Typically, colors may be used to distinguish which parts are moving in a direction at a moment to mark the polarities of the regions, and boundaries (node lines of no movement) between them.

These harmonic "motions" may in your example be analogous to some other oscillatory property that may not be a strict motion but rather a change in some other attributes like field strength, density, polarity, probability, etc...

Each (l,m) has the function of two variables (angles) with complex value. We can rewrite any complex number in form 'x+iy' to r*Exp(i∆) The colors is due to phase of this complex values (∆) which obtain for any solid angle. This pictures only show phase without amplitudes.

abbas_majidi said:
This pictures only show phase without amplitudes.

The images actually do show the magnitude, mapped to the brightness of the color.

Forgive me. In above picture amplitudes are shown but by the brightness of each color. In first time i don't see it. Therefore this form is appreciate to show spherical functions with complex values.

Jazzdude said:
The images actually do show the magnitude, mapped to the brightness of the color.
Thanks.

Related to What do the color maps in spherical harmonics represent?

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a mathematical tool used to describe the distribution of functions over a sphere. They are commonly used in signal processing, physics, and computer graphics to represent data on a spherical surface.

How are spherical harmonics used in color maps?

Spherical harmonics are used in color maps to create smooth and continuous color transitions on a spherical surface. They provide a way to interpolate colors between discrete data points, resulting in a more visually appealing representation of the data.

What is a spherical harmonics color map?

A spherical harmonics color map is a method of assigning colors to points on a spherical surface using spherical harmonics. It allows for a more accurate and visually appealing representation of data on a spherical surface.

How is a spherical harmonics color map created?

A spherical harmonics color map is created by first generating a set of discrete data points on a spherical surface. Spherical harmonics are then used to interpolate colors between these points, creating a smooth and continuous color map.

What are the advantages of using a spherical harmonics color map?

There are several advantages to using a spherical harmonics color map, including a more accurate representation of data on a spherical surface, smoother color transitions, and the ability to handle large datasets without sacrificing visual quality.