Speculative Question about Pure Fusion

In summary: Pure fusion reactions occur at temperatures near the absolute maximum of the temperature range for matter. This is also the temperature range where nuclear weapons are detonated.
DavidCd
Okay, you all are my last hope, as my last brain cell just dripped out of my ear from searching and calculating.

I am needing a scenario for a novel, one where I'd like to get the physics for the detonation portion at least mostly accurate. I wish to employ a pure fusion weapon -- yes, I know, they don't exist -- however, I've read about how the energy release differs from a typical fission warhead or fission-fusion hybrid, in that the majority of energy released from a pure fusion weapon would be a majority of neutrons, which would lead to many more deaths than a typical (see above) warhead.

My question is...what lethality are we talking about? I can only find small numbers, yet no formulas for calculating the range, which I'd assume involves inverse squaring of some number because of the dissipation of neutrons over a distance.

http://www.ieer.org/reports/fusion/chap4.html has some info.

So, the question in a more straightforward fashion.

I need the weapon to be able to kill 1 million people. Assume a population density of 20000 people/sq mile.

I understand that 4.5Gy is lethal to 50% of those exposed. >8Gy is generally always lethal.

If 80% of a pure fusion weapon yield is neutron radiation, how big does the weapon need to be?

Thanks in advance. :)

Likes Lren Zvsm
Physics news on Phys.org
1 question. How are you going to trigger the fusion?

A fission reaction to ignite the fusion reaction does not reduce lethality of the weapon.

Conventional fission-fusion-fission bombs can lead to 1 million (or more) deaths.
During the second world war, Hiroshima had a population of less than 500 000, and roughly 100 000 were killed from a fission-only bomb with a yield of 13kT TNT-equivalent. Fusion bombs can easily achieve 10MT TNT-equivalent or more, and they can be used over a bigger city.

Some simulators:
Detonation effects simulator
Nukemap
http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nuclear/nuclearexplosionsimulator/ (<2MT only)

You need a high energy environment for the fusion reaction to happen.

Related to Speculative Question about Pure Fusion

1. What is "Pure Fusion" and how does it differ from other forms of fusion?

"Pure Fusion" refers to a theoretical process of achieving nuclear fusion without the use of a fission-based trigger, such as in traditional nuclear weapons. It is often seen as a more efficient and safer alternative to traditional fusion methods, as it does not produce harmful radioactive byproducts.

2. Is "Pure Fusion" currently being researched and developed?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to research and develop "Pure Fusion" as a potential energy source. However, it is still in the early stages and has not yet been achieved on a large scale.

3. What are some potential benefits of achieving "Pure Fusion"?

If "Pure Fusion" can be successfully achieved, it could provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It could also potentially reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and help mitigate the effects of climate change.

4. What are some challenges or obstacles in achieving "Pure Fusion"?

One of the main challenges is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur, such as high temperatures and pressures. Another challenge is controlling and harnessing the energy produced by fusion reactions.

5. How does "Pure Fusion" relate to other areas of science and technology?

"Pure Fusion" research involves various fields of science, including plasma physics, materials science, and nuclear engineering. It also has potential applications in energy production, space propulsion, and medical imaging technology.