Specific interests required for graduate school?

In summary: might be a good idea to try to specialize a little bit at the beginning of your graduate career, but it's important to branch out and learn about different fields of mathematics and physics in order to gain a better understanding of the unity of these disciplines.
estedrich
Hi,
I got my BS in Physics/Math in May, but left on a 1-2 year bike trip that is delaying my applying to graduate schools. I plan on applying next fall for admittance fall 2013.
My question is: how necessary is it to have specific research interests when applying to graduate school? I am interested in doing theoretical research, but worked in an experimental cosmology lab all through my undergrad. Most theory seems to require more than a 4-year degree to make it intelligible. So if I can't understand modern research in theory, how can I specify my interests?
I don't like String Theory, not for any very particular reason, but it has never piqued my interest. The Foundations of QM are very interesting to me, but I'm not sure how much active research there is on the topic.
So obviously it would be a plus for a grad school application if I could speak intelligently about why I find a specific professor's research at that institution interesting, but is that expected? Or is it normal for theory applicants to not have a clear idea of their specific interests?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it's normal to not commit to a specific professor's research group in your statement of purpose. It is a good idea to state what your general interests are and why you think you'd be a good fit for that general field. It's probably also a good idea to give examples of professors whose current work is something that you're qualified to eventually be a part of.

You have plenty of time until your application, so I would suggest that to understand what it is that modern researchers do, that you read the background material they display for the general public and get a very strong feeling for what it is they're doing, even if you don't yet understand how they solve their problems. Some people do know what they're getting into when doing grad school applications, but many don't, so you're not alone.

estedrich said:
Hi,
I got my BS in Physics/Math in May, but left on a 1-2 year bike trip that is delaying my applying to graduate schools. I plan on applying next fall for admittance fall 2013.
My question is: how necessary is it to have specific research interests when applying to graduate school? I am interested in doing theoretical research, but worked in an experimental cosmology lab all through my undergrad. Most theory seems to require more than a 4-year degree to make it intelligible. So if I can't understand modern research in theory, how can I specify my interests?
I don't like String Theory, not for any very particular reason, but it has never piqued my interest. The Foundations of QM are very interesting to me, but I'm not sure how much active research there is on the topic.
So obviously it would be a plus for a grad school application if I could speak intelligently about why I find a specific professor's research at that institution interesting, but is that expected? Or is it normal for theory applicants to not have a clear idea of their specific interests?

Thanks
I read this and thought of Kitt Peak or Mauna Kea - great places for mountain biking.
http://keckobservatory.org/blog/hawaiis_coldest_steepest_job/
http://www.noao.edu/kpno/

Seriously, it's good practice to be familiar with the field in which plans to obtain an advanced degree. One should be browsing the journals to see who's doing what, and where the research is pushing. The MS programs are directed research (one does supervised research often related to what one's faculty advisor is doing), whereas a with a PhD, one is expected to do independent research and contribute to the field. Whenever one can, strike out on one's own research and push the envelope.

It's very hard to know what you are getting into until you do it. I tried reading about various branches of math. This left me with an interest in graph theory and logic that I have never had time to pursue, so I don't know if it was worthwhile or not. I feel like you want to try to specialize a lot at the beginning. People talk about the unity of mathematics or physics and how you have to know different topics, but it turned out for me that my thesis only uses a fairly narrow set of tools. Of course, it may be important to know about more than your narrow specialty, but I think if you branch out too much at first, you get information overload. It's easier to retain ideas that are linked together somehow.

So, I think it's kind of a balancing act. Maybe put your eggs in one basket, but try to take a look at the other baskets to make sure it's the right basket.

It can be almost impossible to know what you're getting into. Things that seem completely boring and ugly now may become interesting after a couple years of study and vice versa. So, you kind of have to play by ear and go with your gut to some extent, I think.

for your question! In my experience, having specific research interests is not necessarily required for graduate school, but it can definitely be beneficial for your application. Admissions committees want to see that you have a strong passion and motivation for your chosen field, and having a specific research interest can demonstrate that. However, it is also understandable that as an undergraduate, you may not have had the opportunity to explore all areas of theoretical physics and may not have a clear idea of your specific interests yet. It is important to keep an open mind and continue to explore different areas of theory during your graduate studies.

That being said, it is always a good idea to do some research on the faculty at the institutions you are applying to and see if any of their research interests align with your own. It is not expected for you to have a deep understanding of their research, but being able to articulate why their work interests you can definitely make your application stand out. Additionally, you can also mention your interest in the foundations of quantum mechanics and explain why it is an area you would like to explore further.

In terms of not being interested in string theory, that is completely fine. It is important to pursue research in an area that truly interests you and not just because it may be popular or highly regarded. As for the availability of research in the foundations of quantum mechanics, it may be helpful to reach out to potential advisors or current graduate students in your desired program to get a better understanding of the research opportunities available.

Overall, having specific research interests can be beneficial for your graduate school application, but it is not a requirement. What is more important is showing your passion and dedication to pursuing a career in theoretical physics. Best of luck in your graduate school journey!

Related to Specific interests required for graduate school?

1. What specific interests should I have in order to be successful in graduate school?

To be successful in graduate school, it is important to have a strong passion and interest in your chosen field of study. This means having a thorough understanding of the subject matter and a desire to further your knowledge and skills in that area.

2. How do I determine which specific interests are required for the graduate program I want to apply to?

It is important to thoroughly research the graduate program you are interested in and familiarize yourself with the specific interests and requirements of that program. You can also reach out to current graduate students or faculty members to gain a better understanding of the program's focus and expectations.

3. Can I have multiple specific interests for graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple specific interests for graduate school. In fact, having a diverse range of interests can be beneficial as it allows you to explore different areas within your field of study and potentially find new areas of interest.

4. How important are my specific interests in the admissions process for graduate school?

Specific interests are typically a key factor in the admissions process for graduate school. Admissions committees want to see that you have a clear understanding of your interests and how they align with the program you are applying to. This shows your dedication and commitment to the field of study.

5. Can my specific interests change during my time in graduate school?

Yes, it is common for specific interests to evolve or change during your time in graduate school. As you gain more knowledge and experience in your field, you may discover new interests or shift your focus to a different area. It is important to stay open to new opportunities and be flexible in your interests as you continue your education.