Specific heat of a monotomic gas

In summary, the problem involves calculating the partition function and average internal energy, and then taking the partial derivative to determine the specific heat. It is a monoatomic gas, so the energy only includes electronic energy. However, for a diatomic gas molecule, the energy would also include translation and rotation.
Apashanka
Homework Statement
The problem is attached below
Relevant Equations
The problem is attached below
IMG_20200304_112027.jpg

Given this problem I have calculated the partition function as $$z=1+e^{-\beta E_1}$$
And calculated the average internal energy as $$<U>=\frac{E_1 e^{-\beta E_1}}{1+e^{-\beta E_1}}$$
And thereafter taking the partial derivative of <E> with respect to temp. T the specific heat obtained is option (b)...
Am I correct??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:
Homework Statement:: The problem is attached below
Relevant Equations:: The problem is attached below

View attachment 258085
Given this problem I have calculated the partition function as $$z=1+e^{-\beta E_1}$$
And calculated the average internal energy as $$<U>=\frac{E_1 e^{-\beta E_1}}{1+e^{-\beta E_1}}$$
And thereafter taking the partial derivative of <E> with respect to temp. T the specific heat obtained is option (b)...
Am I correct??
It looks good.
See @mjc123's post.

Last edited:
That deals with the electronic energy of the atoms. What other energy do they have?

mjc123 said:
That deals with the electronic energy of the atoms. What other energy do they have?
Yo are right. I did not notice that it was a monoatomic gas.

mjc123 said:
Then what should be the answer

Apashanka said:
Then what should be the answer
Working that out is your job.

mjc123 said:
Working that out is your job.
Actually I need some help regarding this...one part I have got but how to get the next part..,can you suggest something??

When you have independent degrees of freedom, the energy is a sum of terms for the different degrees of freedom. For example, you usually have for a diatomic gas molecule
$$
E_\mathrm{total} = E_\mathrm{translation} + E_\mathrm{rotation}.
$$
The separability applies also to the averages,
$$
\langle E_\mathrm{total} \rangle = \langle E_\mathrm{translation}\rangle + \langle E_\mathrm{rotation} \rangle.
$$

Related to Specific heat of a monotomic gas

1. What is specific heat of a monotomic gas?

The specific heat of a monotomic gas is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of the gas by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat of a monotomic gas calculated?

The specific heat of a monotomic gas can be calculated by using the formula C = (3/2)R, where C is the specific heat, and R is the gas constant.

3. What is the difference between specific heat of a monotomic gas and specific heat of a polyatomic gas?

The main difference is that specific heat of a monotomic gas is constant at all temperatures, while specific heat of a polyatomic gas varies with temperature.

4. Why is specific heat of a monotomic gas important?

Specific heat of a monotomic gas is important because it helps us understand how gases behave under different conditions and how much energy is required to change their temperature.

5. How does specific heat of a monotomic gas affect the overall heat capacity of a substance?

Specific heat of a monotomic gas is a key factor in determining the overall heat capacity of a substance. It is used to calculate the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance, and therefore, affects its ability to store and transfer heat.