Special theory of relativity: velocity of airplane

In summary: Using this approximation, you can solve for ##v##.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of an airplane using the binomial expansion for γ. A confusion arises about the value of γ and the use of a calculator. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of Taylor's expansion for a better approximation.
salmayoussef

Homework Statement

If a clock in an airplane is found to slow down by 5 parts in 1013, (i.e. Δt/Δto = 1 + 5x10-13), at what speed is the airplane travelling? (Hint: You may need to use the binomial expansion for γ.)

To be honest, I'm really confused about what this question's telling me. What's in the brackets?

Homework Equations

γ = 1/√(1-v2/c2)
That's the equation I used.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I rearranged the equation to find the velocity, I got v = √((1-(1/γ)2)(c2))

I subbed in 1 + 1.5x10-13 for γ but I keep getting 0 as my velocity and the answer's supposed to be 300 m/s. Am I even doing this right? Thanks in advance! I appreciate any help you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
1st why did you sub 1 + 1.5x10-13 for γ instead of 1 + 5x10-13, as described in the problem.

2nd yes your method is correct but either you're misusing the calculator or the calculator can't handle the calculation. Yes, calculators don't always provide correct answers. That's why the problem said "You may need to use the binomial expansion for γ" by what they mean a Taylor expansion.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
why did you sub 1 + 1.5x10-13 for γ

Oops! Sorry! I meant to write 5x10-13. I'm afraid I don't really know what a Taylor expansion is... How does this work?

Taylor's expansion is very important and useful but it takes more than a few lines to explain it. You should definitely learn it, but for right now I would try using a better calculator. Use the calculator that comes with Windows. It's very good.

The binomial expansion says that
$$(1+x)^m = 1 + \frac{m}{1!} x + \frac{m(m-1)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{m(m-1)(m-2)}{3!}x^3 + \cdots.$$ In particular, for ##m=-1/2##, you get
$$(1+x)^{-1/2} \cong 1 - \frac 12 x.$$ Therefore, you have
$$\gamma = \left[ 1 + \left(-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)\right]^{-1/2} \cong 1 + \frac 12 \frac{v^2}{c^2}.$$

Related to Special theory of relativity: velocity of airplane

1. What is the special theory of relativity?

The special theory of relativity is a fundamental theory in physics proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It describes the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the speed of an object.

2. How does the special theory of relativity relate to the velocity of an airplane?

The special theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocity. This means that the velocity of an airplane will affect the perception of time and space for those on board, but the laws of physics will remain consistent.

3. Can an airplane travel at the speed of light according to the special theory of relativity?

No, according to the special theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the amount of energy required to accelerate it also increases, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

4. How does the special theory of relativity explain time dilation in regards to an airplane's velocity?

According to the special theory of relativity, time passes slower for an object that is moving at high speeds compared to an object at rest. This means that time will pass slower for passengers on a fast-moving airplane compared to someone on the ground, resulting in time dilation.

5. Are there any practical implications of the special theory of relativity for airplanes?

Yes, the special theory of relativity has practical implications for airplanes, particularly in the form of GPS technology. The satellites used in GPS systems have to account for the time dilation effects caused by their high velocities in orbit, otherwise, the GPS coordinates would be significantly inaccurate.