Calculating the Travel Time of High-Energy Particles Across Our Galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the size of our galaxy and the energy of the most energetic particles known. The question is posed of how long it would take a proton with an energy of 10^19 eV to travel across the galaxy from the perspective of both the galaxy and the particle. The equations used to solve the problem include the relationship between energy and momentum and the relativistic kinetic energy equation. There is confusion over the results obtained and the discrepancy between the velocity calculated using the two equations. The person asks for hints on how to proceed with the problem.
senatorarmstrong

Homework Statement

Our galaxy is about 10^5 light-years across, and the most energectic particles known have an energy of about 10^19 eV. How long would it take a proton with this energy to traverse the galaxy as measured from (a) the galaxy and (b) the particle?

Homework Equations

I attempted to use the relationship between energy and momentum. E2 = p2*c2 + m2*c4

I also tried solving the problem with relativistic kinetic energy. K = mc2(γ-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used both equations and got similar results...

I figured what I could do is use the energy given and then solve for u in γ. Knowing the relativistic velocity, I could then find how long it would take this proton to zip across the milky-way.

If I am solving for u in γ, I am obviously solving for the velocity of the particle (b) and not the velocity of the particle with respect the galaxy (a).

What throws me off is using the two equations up there, I got u to be equal to c. When I used the kinetic energy equation, u > c! Can't be...

Any hints?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show exactly what you did. Then we will be able to guide your thinking.

Related to Calculating the Travel Time of High-Energy Particles Across Our Galaxy

1. What is special relativity energy?

Special relativity energy is a concept in physics that explains the relationship between energy and mass, as described by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. It states that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into one another through the famous equation E=mc².

2. How does special relativity energy differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, energy and mass were considered to be separate and independent quantities. However, special relativity energy shows that they are two different manifestations of the same concept and are interconnected. It also predicts that the energy of an object increases as its speed approaches the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity energy?

The speed of light, denoted by "c", is a fundamental constant in special relativity energy. It is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This means that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its energy increases significantly and can even approach infinity.

4. How does special relativity energy impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity energy has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped explain various phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the concept of time dilation. It also paved the way for the development of other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, which have further deepened our understanding of the universe.

5. Can special relativity energy be observed or measured?

Special relativity energy is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its predictions have been tested and verified through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous experiments of the particle accelerator at CERN. In addition, many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, rely on the principles of special relativity energy for accurate measurements and calculations.