Source of optics problems and solutions?

In summary, the individual is struggling to learn optics using the Sears textbook and is also consulting other sources. They are experiencing difficulty in solving problems and feel they lack a good intuition for the subject. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks or other resources that provide answers and can aid in learning optics properly.
Cruikshank
I am trying to teach myself optics out of the text by Sears, with some looks at Optics and Vision and a few other texts. I'm trying all the problems in Sears, and the answers to the odd problems are in the back.

Unfortunately, I am getting a good fraction of the problems wrong. Sometimes it is just a simple error that I work out, but other times I go over it multiple times and I can't see anything that I did wrong. I don't feel that I am building a good intuition for the subject, either. I actually teach physics 2 and have to fumble every year on the optical instruments chapter; despite a lot of study over the past six weeks, I still don't feel that I could get more than 80-90% of the freshman problems right. There always seems to be one more assumption that I am supposed to know to make, and sometimes it seems that there are multiple approaches that seem valid but give different answers. I am trying to learn this well.

So what textbooks or other sources of problems would people recommend, that have answers available, for learning optics properly? After ten chapters in one text, and seeing another text look almost completely different, I am starting to get discouraged. One or two questions I could post here; but I seem to have many. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a Schaum's Outline book for optics, which is mostly for learning how to solve optics problems. It was written by Hecht, who also wrote a full textbook on optics.

Related to Source of optics problems and solutions?

1. What are the common sources of optics problems?

Some common sources of optics problems include misalignment of optical elements, imperfections in optical components, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, and errors in the optical design or calculations.

2. How can I identify the source of an optics problem?

To identify the source of an optics problem, it is important to systematically check each component and aspect of the optical system. This may involve inspecting the alignment of the optical elements, testing individual components for defects, and analyzing the environmental conditions. Additionally, consulting with experts in optics can help pinpoint the source of the problem.

3. What are some potential solutions to optics problems?

The solution to an optics problem will depend on its specific source. Some potential solutions may include realigning the optical components, replacing defective components, adjusting the environmental conditions, or redesigning the optical system. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and consult with experts to determine the most effective solution.

4. Can software be used to solve optics problems?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can assist in solving optics problems. These programs use mathematical models and simulations to analyze and optimize optical systems. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of optics principles and techniques in order to effectively use these software tools.

5. How can I prevent optics problems in the future?

To prevent optics problems in the future, it is important to regularly maintain and calibrate optical systems, carefully handle and store optical components, and follow proper design and alignment procedures. Additionally, staying updated on advancements in optics technology and techniques can help prevent future problems.