Sophomore Year Internships: What to Do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the student's search for internships and their uncertainty about a potential opportunity in a non-related field. They also discuss ways to make their summer productive, such as learning a scripting language and reading past textbooks. The student also expresses concerns about taking the internship and seeks advice from others.
DefaultName
Hi, I just finished my sophomore year in EE and I had a quick question: how many students get internships after their sophomore year?

Currently, I have a overall 3.2 GPA overall, and a 3.7 GPA in my EE & CS classes (about 5 of them so far). I applied to a lot of internships, got a few calls, even a few on-site ones, though didn't get any. I have a few questions:

1) I might have a good chance with this one company, that focuses on materials engineering (alumnium). However, the division I would be working in would be the "Packaging" division. It packages things like pharmaceuticals, beauty products, and other miscellaenous things. It's more of an industrial engineering internship... even though its not really related to my field OR really not that interesting to me, should I take it?

I'm currently doing research (more biomedical engineering oriented) with my school, but I'm unsure what to do. I'd rather be doing things, but it's not in a company setting. Any advice?

2) I'm also taking a summer class, Calculus III. It ends in two weeks. I have two months, basically ONLY doing research. I just e-mailed a CS professor to help TA a class, so I might do that (not to put on my resume, but I love tutoring). What else can I do to make this a productive summer? I've also picked up a book on PERL, to learn on my own.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Internships are usually done in the junior year. You'll need at least some background the field you are going into, so five courses won't cut. Just hold out till the later part of your junior year.
1) I might have a good chance with this one company, that focuses on materials engineering (alumnium). However, the division I would be working in would be the "Packaging" division. It packages things like pharmaceuticals, beauty products, and other miscellaenous things. It's more of an industrial engineering internship... even though its not really related to my field OR really not that interesting to me, should I take it?
Nope. Do something that's is related to your field, don't waste your time with this.
2) I'm also taking a summer class, Calculus III. It ends in two weeks. I have two months, basically ONLY doing research. I just e-mailed a CS professor to help TA a class, so I might do that (not to put on my resume, but I love tutoring). What else can I do to make this a productive summer? I've also picked up a book on PERL, to learn on my own.
Learning a scripting language is a good idea. You can also read up on future courses. Just find out what textbooks they use and go buy them. One thing I like to do over the summer is read past textbooks. I always learn something new when I reread them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, ranger. It makes sense. I don't want to waste my time with this, but should I care more about what division it is in or the work that I will be doing? I'm more interested in doing the research, but at this point, I can continue to do the research during the school year if need be. I'm concerned if I should take this "opportunity" (I use this term loosely)?

I just googled the company itself and the location in Google Maps, and I found that it was a subdivision of the actual company. From the name and description of the subdivison, I doubt they do anything electrical. I think I'll tell her I'm not interested.

Any other opinions? Thanks in advance.

Quick, she called me back today! I need another opinion, before I ultimately decide. Maybe I'm missing something, and you guys can shed some light on me :/

Related to Sophomore Year Internships: What to Do?

1. What types of internships should I be looking for as a sophomore?

As a sophomore, you should be looking for internships that align with your interests and major. This could include internships in your field of study, or internships in related industries. You can also consider internships that offer hands-on experience in areas you want to explore further.

2. When should I start applying for internships?

It is recommended to start applying for internships at least 6-9 months before the start of your desired internship period. This will give you enough time to research and apply to various opportunities, and also allow for any unexpected delays in the application process.

3. How can I stand out as a candidate for internships?

To stand out as a candidate for internships, you can focus on highlighting your relevant skills, experiences, and achievements. This includes showcasing your academic performance, any relevant extracurricular activities, and any previous work or volunteer experience. Networking and obtaining strong letters of recommendation can also make you stand out as a candidate.

4. Should I prioritize paid internships over unpaid internships?

While paid internships may be enticing, it is important to prioritize the overall learning and experience gained from an internship. Unpaid internships can also offer valuable skills and networking opportunities. Consider your own financial situation and the potential benefits of each opportunity before making a decision.

5. Can I apply for internships in different industries?

Yes, you can apply for internships in different industries as a sophomore. This can help you gain a wider range of skills and experiences, and also allow you to explore different career paths. However, it is important to make sure that the internship aligns with your overall goals and interests.